HybridZ

Fussy start ups, ign LED not lighting initially MS2

motomanmike

Hello guys,

Been awhile since i've posted.   What i've got, L28ET MS2 3.0 ECU using a single coil with a bip and relay board.   Car runs fantastic.  Doesn't miss a beat however here lately she's been really fussy during initial start ups.  Doesn't matter if its hot or cold.  What i've noticed is, if I start cranking the starter, and the IGN LED does not flicker on the ECU the car won't start.  I'll cycle the key, let the wideband warm back up, try again.  Sometimes i'll pause, sometimes i'll try cranking once I notice the starter drive has released to try but its very sporadic.  Sometimes i'll climb in her and she will fire right up, sometimes i've tried cranking so many times I feared i'd have to get towed.  Cranking logs look ok, no sync loss and reading RPM.  The ecu is mounted inside the vehicle.  Anyone experienced anything like this maybe can give me some insight as to whats going on?

• 3 weeks later...

I put this issue to bed this weekend.  Its my ignition tumbler. Whats odd is the coil wasn't getting power, however the relay board would, ECU would, and the fuel pump would prime.  At points I'd start to crank the engine I'd notice the LED not firing for ignition but the ecu had power which was odd to me but my coil is powered off the stock wiring and relay.  Changed the key switch out and its all gone. Fires right up.

• 2 months later...

I am also having this issue, all new wiring, ms1 v2.2 board L28et with the 82-83 trigger wheel, single coil with msd 6al.

I have noticed the tach signal jumping around a bit  when starting. It will show 0 then 70 then 800 before it even starts. once it starts it runs like a champ.

I have messed around with the pw in the cranking settings, installed new plugs, new coil, still no luck. Has anyone solved this issue?

OK! I figured it out!

My problem was that the engine was not grounded properly. It was actually grounding itself through my autometer coolant gauge( mechanical). I know this because i cooked a few gauges and i could not figure out why.

I hooked up a big 0 awg wire from the trans to the body and the tach signal was perfect, fired up within a second (coolant at 80*f) repeated a few times just to make sure.

I know this is a simple thing, but it is something that gets over looked. I hope this helps someone.