HybridZ

Mini starter options.....

Howdy all!

It was pissing down with rain in"wine country" today so i threw in the towel and went to do some work on the never ending Z project. You may have noticed that i am in New Zealand so our Zeds have the steering shaft on the right hand side. This proves to be a bit challenging when trying to make headers for the SBC that is now in the engine bay. The header have to navigate around the steering and the starter motor. I am using 1 3/4 inch tubing and i think i could just make it work with the standard starter but it compromises the design somewhat and is really tight.

So...........I have been looking at starter motors all night....now my brain hurts!

I am going to need a mini starter that can clock around so I can get it as close to the oil pan as possible. There looks to be some really cool ideas out there...360 degree clocking, Gravedigger style, planetary gear drives.....I just need to create as much room as i can to get the headers in.

Anyone have any good suggestions? I really don't want to spend to much,(all the ones i liked were over $300 on summit) let make the budget $220 usd tops.

Cheers,

Douglas

I've had great luck with "db electrical" starters.  Their products, prices and customer service have been nothing short of excellent.  I'm currently using this model on my mild SBC 350...I really like the fact that the housing supports the pinion vs the "open-style pinion" on many of the other aftermarket starters.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/p-1319-new-chevy-305-350-454-mini-racing-pmgr-starter-ht-sdr0031-l.aspx

Good luck and happy motoring!

I've used a Tilton for years with no issues.  It looks a lot like the hitachi above.  The nose isn't supported, but the shaft is the same size as the pinion and it's worked great.

jt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys,

I started to fab up the headers with the full size starter in. While doing some running around on Friday I went into a local performance parts shop which I had never been to. They had  a starter just like the one miles suggested. It was $220 NZD so I picked it up. It a nice fit and has definitely given me more options for making the headers and much lighter.

Cheers,

Douglas

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a starter/ flex plate combination for my engine.  It is currently a stock 327 SBC with a 153 tooth flexplate with a TH350.  I want to switch to a mini starter when I get my 200-4r.  The starter bolt holes are straight across, so that means I can only use a starter made for a 153 tooth flexplate, right?  Will this starter work? http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/p-10547-new-chevy-buick-pontiac-jeep-mini-starter-long-short-mt-sdr0059.aspx  I'm asking on this forum because the JTR manual lists a few starter designs that will not fit the Z.