HybridZ

Feasibility Check! (CA)

jakeoster

Hey guys,

Came across a unique car. It's a Fairlady 2+2 and yes it is right hand drive with an (what I'm assuming) EFI L28E+5 speed. It's been legalized for CA and has everything. The only problem is, due to its year, it is not smog exempt.

Do you guys think it would be feasible to BAR legal an L28ET into this car in CA?

Thanks.

Edited by jakeoster

You should call the BAR office and ask them, or find a referee and see what they say.

Do you know of a rather amicable BAR office to call? My experience with my local BAR is they were very unwilling to help a modified car enthusiast.

As of now I'm working 12 hour shifts and have class so getting down there during the week would be difficult. I'm planning on pouring my weekends into the project whether its this one or another Z.

I am going through this on a 1977 Skyline that I am putting a L28ET into. Ref indicated that donor engine has to be from a CA emissions car. He needed proof of donor cars VIN. Best is to have the donor registered in your name and recently smogged, then show you removed the engine and disposed of the shell. You will need to help the ref out by having all the required information to explain that you know and understand the BAR regulations. By this I mean have the FSM emissions pages and be fluent in what emissions equipment is on the L28ET.

Or find a shop to run the traps for you. Choice is time or money.

FYI, whatever way you go, the local ref will need to push a special case like this through the main office. The ref will wait for direction before okaying any mods you plan to do. Took about four weeks for the ref to get direction from the main office, then it's been back and forth on what specific parts I need to bring over from the donor.

Edited by ctc

Thank you CTC.

I feared that I would need two cars to make this work, the Fairlady plus a 280zx.

I don't have the time or space to deal with two cars. I think I'm going to pass on this Z. The RHD uniqueness factor is just not worth all the hassle it would take. I've weighed the option of sticking with the stock engine but I know I won't be satisfied with the car after putting all the time/money in the restore for stock HP.

Gonna keep looking.

Edited by jakeoster

Only way to register mine was to pull the JDM engine and install a USDM one. Being 1977, it was the only way to get smog compliance. I went L28ET because it was bolt-in and maintained the JDM vintage flavor where a V6 or V8 would not in my opinion. DMV had no problem with the VIN because it was past the 25 year federal import regs. They just wanted smog compliance.

Edited by ctc