HybridZ

1971 240Z series 1 potential and hi!

Hi my name is Mark. I've been a long time lurker and really have appreciated reading all of your posts and hardcore information. I recently came upon this 1971 series 1 for 5k really close to where I live.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3935748152.html

It seems like a fantastic deal for the shape it is in and just wanted some of your input.  I don't see the horizontal vents under the rear hatch glass and I can't make out the emblems on the rear either. Is this a true series one? It's not a deal breaker by anymeans I was just curious.  I'm going up to see it on Saturday and thought I'd introduce myself and say hi.  I've driven 911's for a number of years, but always wanted a Z.

It appears to be a late 71 build by looking at the following; lock knob on the fuel door, flip style hazard light switch, early console and am seeking radio.  For the 240's you'd see more differences on an earlier build. 

Open the left door and see the build date on the data plate.  I'd also crawl under the car to check; frame rails, lower rockers, pull carpets to see floors, pull spare tire [look in well for rust], dog legs as well as under the doors.

Pictures are never the same as in person.

Suggest you update your location to include city & state...

Welcome!

Yes you are correct, that is not a series one model. It is missing a lot of the key features as you point out.

It has been modified in a very american fashion. If you are not a fan, you can apply some reasoning to lower the price.

The webber manifold is not a highly coveted conversion by any means, SU carbs or even better yet the triple webber or mikuni's are much preferable.

The louvers if removed will have to have the holes patched up. 

Car looks solid, but the asking price seems on the higher side of things. Overall it looks like it has been cared for and looks complete.

I'm sure you know all this if you have driven older 911's, but definitely search on here for things to look out for. Taking a peak under the dash cover and the floor mats are a real must.

Good luck!

Edited by seattlejester

Wow thanks for the fast accurate info. Yes, I've done enough PPI's on many 80s vintage 911'sto know where a lot of the trouble hiding spots are in these older cars. I'll make sure to get under everything as you guys suggested. Seattlejester, what American modifications do you mean? And by louvres you mean if you remove the current carb setup?

Slotted wheels, updraft webber draft carbs, and the rear window louvers (the vented slats on the rear hatch glass), are very american in styling, what you would find on american muscle cars of the day. So if you were interested in the car from a pure collector's stand point, a return to stock would necessitate, return to factory SU carbs, different wheels, reinstallation of the stock front lip, and removal of the rear louver. To secure the rear window louvers most kits require drilling holes into the hatch, which upon removal require filling in the holes.

Personally I like how the cars look with a bit of fiddling. Some watanabe or panasport rims give it a nice period correct look, removal of the over rider on the bumpers and removal of the rear louver and an addition of a rear lip would make a pretty cool looking stockish car.

Obvious exterior modifications include alloy wheels, rear window louvers, front air dam, dual outside mirrors, and missing rear bumper guards.

The engine compartment has aftermarket carbs and air filters.

The interior picture show an aftermarket shift knob, missing clock in dash pod on right, and dash cover that could be hiding a cracked dash top.  Other than that, all appears neat & tidy.

The $5,000 asking price isn't too out of line if it's relatively rust free as described.  Check the rear wheel arches and dog legs as they are often rusty or poorly repaired.  The '71 is a great choice - I've had mine for 42 years.

Dennis