HybridZ

78 RB26 260Z

How the car is sitting, metalwork, welding and painting should begin on Monday, slower than I'd like, but what can I do:

P1010359.jpg

P1010367.jpg

P1010377.jpg

Repainted the new shafts as I wasn't happy with the paint on them, also painted the cv's in a funky blue:

P1010309.jpg

P1010315.jpg

Bought some nice wheel nuts, they have to be open as I've got extended wheel studs all round. I had bought some cheap chrome ones but not all of them threaded on nicely and they galled badly on the wheels. These ones are very light (only 26 grams each) look great and the top of the seats spin freely from the main body so that they don't damage the wheel and allow equal torqueing all round:

P1010318.jpg

P1010323.jpg

P1010330.jpg

New clutch master cylinder as my original one had seen better days, works fine but was quite corroded at the back:

P1010380.jpg

Battery cable cut to the correct lenths, battery mounted power shut off switch, some more random wiring and a steering wheel cover to keep my new wheel clean:

P1010382.jpg

Rebuilt my steering rack today and mounted it on the crossmember:

P1010340.jpg

P1010343.jpg

Got the engine built back up:

P1010337.jpg

Started rebuilding my hub/suspension/control arm:

P1010347.jpg

P1010350.jpg

P1010351.jpg

Couldn't resist trying a coilover in it:

P1010375.jpg

P1010372.jpg

P1010374.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fitted my battery today, could have been neater if I'd used ring terminals at the battery, but I wanted the negative terminal kill switch and at the postive side I wanted to be able to have a cover over the exposed live parts;

P1010395.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010390.jpg

P1010391.jpg

I need to try and find a smaller positive terminal cover.

P1010404.jpg

Fitted my fan:

P1010397.jpg

Fitted new bearings to my hubs and pressed in the ARP studs, the painted them and mounted my brake discs:

P1010425.jpg

P1010426.jpg

Started to fix/repair/strengthen the front end today.

3mm plate should add a fair amount of strength to the chassis:

P1010479.jpg

P1010481.jpg

Once both sides are done and the few small holes from rust damage have been replaced with new metal the camber plates should be getting welded in along with the strut brace brackets and finish off welding up some unused holes. Should be on a fair bit by tomorrow night, hoping to have it ready for paint on Thursday and after that It will be off to get my stainless steel brake lines fitted and the adjustable prop valve installed.

My remaining tyres finally turned up on Friday:

P1010532.jpg

P1010530.jpg

Got the welding almost finished today, welded up any remaining unused holes, just the camber plates left to do tomorrow:

P1010562.jpg

Added a strengthening bar to the front:

P1010568.jpg

P1010567.jpg

P1010570.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got the welding finished today:

P1010573.jpg

Started by aligning, marking and cutting out the holes for the camber plates, then welding the camber plates in:

Top:

P1010586.jpg

And Bottom:

P1010577.jpg

P1010584.jpg

P1010588.jpg

Then ground the edges smooth so it looks like it came that way from the factory:

P1010594.jpg

And added the brackets for my strut brace:

P1010618.jpg

P1010612.jpg

P1010626.jpg

Added a plate to strengthen the anti-roll bar mounting position:

P1010609.jpg

And moved my washer bottle slightly, not far from where it was but it should look better like this:

P1010621.jpg

P1010624.jpg  

New brake pads arrived yesterday so I fitted them to the wilwoods today, as from what I've heard that pads that come with the wilwoods stop you ok, but are a bit noisy and not great cold. I use Hawk HP+ in my Civic and they are great (apart from the dust) so thought I'd give them a go on the Z.

P1010653.jpg

Got a good coat of primer on today, quick rubdown and she will be ready for paint

P1010675.jpg

P1010676.jpg

P1010677.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010683.jpg

P1010682.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Most parts are back in the bay now apart from the engine, that will go in once brake lines are done. Body panels back on and properly aligned, airdam mounted and diffuser plate made.

bumperon.jpg

Airdam is to be painted blue but I thinks it also looks quite cool in black so I'm considering keeping it black.

If you look behind the airdam you can see a big gap between the airdam and the radiator panel, this is bad for airflow and creates a lot of turbulence. To sort this out and improve airflow to the radiator and eventually also the intercooler I got an aluminium plate made up, this will be painted satin black. I think it improves the looks aswell as the airflow.

frontplate.jpg

frontplate2.jpg

Thanks guys

I'm still having trouble deciding to go blue or stay black with the airdam, what do you guys think?

done2.jpg

done.jpg

In other news, this car is definitely going RB, because I've just bought a fully forged RB26 with lots of Tomei goodies.  :D   :twisted:   Engine will be good for over 700HP, but I'll never run that much, hoping to have a 450HP map and a second high boost map at the flick of a switch to change to something like 550hp. I'll be limited to just over 600hp by my fuel pump anyway.

Beautiful car. Whatever color you do with your air dam, make it a color that you can repaint easily. Air dams get smacked on things. I left mine un painted (dirty black color right out of the box) because I smack it every time I load onto my trailer and my tie down straps rub on it.

• 1 month later...

Only photos I have of the brake lines at the moment, I will try and get bigger ones. They are looking good I think, it was definitely the right choice to use polished stainless hardlines, they look so much better than copper or cunifer ones.

brakelines.jpeg

brakelines2.jpeg

Due some updates, most of the work is done: diff mount, cv shafts and conversion flanges, billet stub axles, rear brakes, prop valve, suspension, brake lines and engine are all fitted.

Not so good photos, when I get better ones I'll put them up.

front.jpeg

enginein2.jpeg

brakesfront.jpeg

rearbrakes.jpeg

dat4.jpg

dat6.jpg

dat1-1.jpg

Still got some wiring to do, fusible links to be changed for modern fuses, fan to be wired in, airdam and bumper to be fitted , rear strut brace altered to fit, fuel lines to connect up and that's about it.

Should also have turbos (HKS GT-SS) and gearbox sorted now too.