HybridZ

78 RB26 260Z

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, nice to see someone on here at least looks at my build :)  RB does look like it was meant to be in there from factory.

Still making Progress:

Fuel line setup, hard to believe this lot costs £560.

DSCF1781.jpg

DSCF1786.jpg

Fuel lines are done, FPR fitted, intercooler and radiator fitted, throttle cable is fitted, LSD is going in today along with 4.11 final drive, propshaft should be ready tomorrow.

DSCF1817.jpg

DSCF1821.jpg

DSCF1822.jpg

DSCF1819.jpg

DSCF1814.jpg

DSCF1815.jpg

DSCF1829.jpg

Arrived today, spacer for front wheels to give me some more lock, led light for dash to be my check engine light, remaining fuel system parts and my gauges back from repair.

DSCF1838.jpg

10710551_741579422579355_908455453682729

Edited by EF Ian

Almost there, got to work out a solution for the top radiator hose, trim my intercooler diffuser panel, fit the sump tray and that's it for the outside apart from intake, intercooler and exhaust piping. Was working on the inside wiring today and fitting my gauges.

Hardlines under the car with braided line up front

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1860.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1919.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wiring finished, switches wired in, dash fitted, spacers fitted, interior cleaned, top coolant hose on and filled her with coolant, adjusted the mapping a bit, fitted vac lines and general tidying. Pretty much there now apart from piping (downpipe, exhaust, intercooler) this will be started on Monday.

DSCF8413.jpg

Can finally get rid of this:

DSCF8442.jpg

Been replaced with this:

DSCF8445.jpg

DSCF8519.jpg

My new Twin Turbo Badge finally arrived, couldn't get this from Nissan anymore, but RHD Japan got me one:

DSCF8453.jpg

DSCF8522.jpg

Interior looking nice again (new gauges fitted)

DSCF8475.jpg

DSCF8481.jpg

DSCF8486.jpg

DSCF8488.jpg

DSCF8491.jpg

DSCF8436.jpg

DSCF8433.jpg

DSCF8474.jpg

DSCF8470.jpg

DSCF8531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Drew

IMG-20141009-01094.jpg

Exhaust is underway although its already well behind schedule:

DSCF8628.jpg

DSCF8593.jpg

DSCF8599.jpg

DSCF8601.jpg

DSCF8602.jpg

Made up my breather lines and finished the wiring plate install:

DSCF8585.jpg

Original plan was to hide the wiring connector under the catch can, but the wiring was about 2 inches too short for this, so I machined the plate down to fit where it is below. I think worked out ok, perhaps it would have been a shame to hide it?

DSCF8616.jpg

DSCF8603.jpg

DSCF8609.jpg

DSCF8615.jpg
Edited by EF Ian

The downpipe runs very close to the chassis so to avoid heat damage I added some insulation, if Gold is good enough for a McLaren F1 engine bay then its good enough for me, meant to reflect 80% of the radiant heat, plus it looks cool

DSCF8650.jpg

DSCF8649.jpg

Unfortunately I have run of time to get this finished and I have had to go back to work with it unfinished.   :cry:  I plan to return for a week once the weather get a bit better, perhaps end of Feb and I'll get it finished ready for my next holiday where it will be getting mapped.

Downpipe finished, wanted equal length for the sound but I just couldn't see a way to make that work on my chassis, I heat wrapped the parts close to the chassis and turbos, would have like to do the whole thing but the problem then is if it scrapes the ground it tars and the whole lot comes off.

DSCF8660.jpg

DSCF8657.jpg

DSCF8667.jpg

You can see the intake piping for the rear turbo has to run above the front turbo elbow and exhaust so to help keep the pipe cooler I am considering gold wrapping the piping also.

DSCF8697.jpg

Exhaust is also finished:

DSCF8664.jpg

DSCF8669.jpg

DSCF8677.jpg

DSCF8680.jpg

DSCF8684.jpg

Not sure whether to leave the heat colouration on the tip or remove it:

DSCF8688.jpg

DSCF8691.jpg

DSCF8692.jpg

Almost there   :)

DSCF8705.jpg

DSCF8694.jpg

Edited by EF Ian

Thanks guys  :)  Really can't wait to get it finished now and drive it. Unfortunately I'm back at work so will be away for around 5 months before this can happen.  :cry:  Hope all the work is worth it.

No idea how I missed this thread but I am glad that I have seen it now AWESOME WORK!!!

Thanks, Wish I had people who could do fab work like is on your build, some really get fab work you have done and really neat welds on everything. Great work on your build by the way.

Thanks Toni, means a lot coming from guys like you who's car build's I admire a lot.

Intake and Intercooler piping is now finished:

Nice Job on the welds:

pipes1.jpg

Bay is a bit dusty, work is being done in a bodyshop.
pipes3.jpg

pipes4.jpg

pipes7.jpg

Was originally planning to have all the pipes polished, but I'm not sure now. I'm thinking I'll leave the intake pipes the way they are but not sure what to do with the intercooler pipes. I can either leave them how they are, have them brushed so they look like they do now but without the colouration from the welding, it will look like one piece of pipe until you look close and see the neat welds. I can have them mirror polished or I can do them in satin black.

One option for the intake piping was to get it ceramic coated silver, would be the same finish as my turbo elbows, while this may be effective I'm not sure its the nicest looking compared to the other options.

Opinions welcome.

Looks a wee bit cluttered down here, but that's really as neat as I can make a twin turbo setup look.
4e79b002-4f7f-4645-a516-96fc442d4ba1.jpg

pipes5.jpg

Pipes6.jpg

Wanted the bottom filter to be closer to the top one but it just wasn't possible.

pipes8.jpg

• 5 months later...

Would have updated this a few weeks ago but I was having problem pasting things into the form.

Quite mean looking with the intercooler there, you can just about see the diffuser plate below the intercooler, this makes a huge difference to the aerodynamic performance. Plus it looks much better than without it.

DSCF8767.jpg

DSCF8774.jpg

DSCF8772.jpg

DSCF8777.jpg

DSCF8779.jpg

DSCF8786.jpg

DSCF8796.jpg

DSCF8794.jpg

DSCF8797.jpg

DSCF8810.jpg

DSCF8808.jpg

I've since spent two days giving her a full detail so it should look even better now.

Its now fully mapped and running great, I'm really loving it, loads of fun and crazy quick. Made 480hp and 490lbft

DSCF8816.jpg

DSCF8831.jpg

Some heat in there!

DSCF8829.jpg

DSCF8820.jpg

One of the earlier ramp runs, not a great video, I have better footage from my GoPro but my software isn't working right at the moment.

My turbo side engine mount bush has failed, my hopefully stronger custom replacement arrived today so hoping to get it fitted on Monday and get back to some proper driving again.

Ran out of toe adjustment and was stuck at 2' out either side, so I trimmed the end slightly and it should be all good now, also needing to get my brakes skimmed.
Edited by EF Ian

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just dug through your whole build here again and absolutely love this car. Just wanted your feedback on the inter cooler and radiator you purchased from Pro Alloy. They appear to be a top notch outfit with quality custom parts. I am shooting for very similar power figures from my 2jzgte swap and that inter cooler looks ideal. 

Thanks

The fuel tank, radiator and intercooler are all custom builds from Pro Alloy and I've just received a radiator expansion tank from them, everything they've made for me has been top quality, great craftsmanship and works really well. I couldn't be happier with their stuff. Because its all built to my specs it means everything fits perfectly and looks like its meant to be there instead of just going with generic parts which can look out of place. The inter cooler is working great, it could easily handle another 200hp and still provide sufficient cooling. They are not cheap however for the quality of their parts/work I don't think its bad and its true you get what you pay for.