HybridZ

ATL 12 Gal. Cell at Summit Racing, Half Price!

Zzeal

Summit Racing has had this fuel cell in their Scratch & Dent area for several weeks, at $1500. It has an original price of $1836. Yesterday it was reduced to just $900.

It's ATL's Sport Cell, model SP-112-ST4-LS-8, FIA approved, with a built in Bosch F.I. pump along with a fuel level and gauge.

You can't call Summit and get any info on Scratch & Dent stuff, it's local pick up only. So, if any HybridZ'er would like this deal, I can help make it happen. I'd be willing to ship it, just to give back to the community. PM me and we can talk particulars.

Steve

P1020123_zps61e34668.jpg

I don't believe it's dinged at all. The sales guy's say that any damage would be noted. Most of the stuff in "Scratch & Dent" looks fine, I believe it's mostly returns. But if anyone wanted the cell I would, of course, check it out before purchasing it.

Steve

Yeah, scratch and dent was a OLD holdover from old school. Now, if the package was opened and someone tried installation lawyers say "can't sell it as new or you're going to get sued and lose your business" so almost anything that is returned, even if it wasn't opened, even if you paid a 'restocking charge' likely goes into some sort of write off bin.

Check the cel expiration date, some of this stuff (like seat belts) expire in certification. For the price, especially if you don't need certification, its looking very attractive!

Any idea the advantages / disadvantages of going with something like this versus the Camaro fuel tank?  An LS1/2 swap is in my not-so-distant future, and the fuel tank portion is the bit I'll likely try to sort first, perhaps even while the L-series motor is still in the car.

I'm not adverse to cutting out the spare tire well.  I assume I'd no longer be filling from the gas door on the side, but through the hatch instead.  I also assume it'd be a bit noisier, likely partially in the cabin, and possibly higher up as well (worse from a weight perspective?).  All that said, my Z very rarely sees the street, and lives mostly on a truck and trailer for track events / autox.  I assume this would be better in preventing fuel starvation under hard cornering conditions, yes?

Check the cel expiration date, some of this stuff (like seat belts) expire in certification. For the price, especially if you don't need certification, its looking very attractive!

Here's a shot of the serial number. ATL could give you the cell's birth date.

P1020124_zpsf7ce31e7.jpg

If it's still there today when Steve goes by to check -- that'll be me.  Then I'll just need you guys help figuring out how to isolate it from the driver's cabin and hopefully retrofit it to the stock fill location to I can pass tech and be track legal.   :icon47:

Thanks so much, Steve!  It's a steal indeed, coupled with a lot of generosity on your part!  Expect pics to follow once she makes it over, followed shortly by a ton of pestering threads regarding the best way to plumb the darn thing and still be race legal.  

If you ever find yourself in Atlanta or trapped here on a layover, I owe ya one!  :cheers: