HybridZ

Oil cooler mounting and air management.

They're hard as hell to find around here. Everyone wants a bill or better, and they all look a little rough.

I did find a few mercedes W124's with nice Behr oil coolers though. Too bad they have quirky M22x1.5 compression fittings on them. They're a little big for the location on the car; but I have it all worked out with the 24 row Long cooler.

I ducted from the front air dam brake-duct cutout to the wheel well with cardboard; and I'll be fiberglassing over the cardboard to make the finished duct. The low-ish neutral pressure zone in the wheel well and the high pressure air through the brake duct hole should direct air through the cooler at any speed over about 10MPH, and the hose routing is simple and direct.

Progress report. 80deg day back roads and highway. While moving coolant temp was 180. Sitting in bumper to bumper for 20min 205 was coolant temp peak.

Oil temp peak was 180. Cruising was 140. I will need a thermostat for street driving!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about the niagra cooler...

Report back. Took it to the track on a 80deg day and ran multiple 20min sessions.

Peak oil temp was 190

Peak water temp was 205 (in pits after run)

Oil temp is at the sump. I am debating moving it when i go dry sump. A lot of people say after the cooler. Any input?

JohnC:

Thanks much for the link.  In retrospect after purchasing an aluminum radiator with integral auxiliary trans cooler, should have paid more attention to cooling engine oil.  The input and output fitting on my radiator are likely TOO small for good engine oil flow.  Have you used niagarathrem engine oil heat exhangers that are embedded with a radiator?  GM has used this in heavier duty applications.  It would seem that engine oil and trans fluid temperatures would rise along with coolant temp such that there is more uniform temperatures across these assemblies.  Your comments please.  Thanks again.