HybridZ

Electrical component mounted behind speedo

The Woj

Does anyone know what this is? It is a small box mounted to the back of the speedo. The red wire goes into the speedo next to the high beam indicator light, and I don't know where the yellow wires went as I pig tailed them a long time ago. The outside of the box says "132", inside the clear top I can read "XP-34". The FSM refers to it as a "Switch Element", I am not sure what the heck that means.

IMG 0092

IMG 0091

IMG 0093

Thanks!

Could be the BCDD 10 mph switch.

I think we have a winner, wasn't sure how this would be the answer on a carb'ed car but this post seems to confirm NewZed's answer.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/77476-speedometer-question/

I guess it was just a thing for the Hitachi carb'ed cars, as it seems the 70-72's didn't have this box and the 280z's had a similar box with different wiring.

Does anyone know what this is? It is a small box mounted to the back of the speedo.

It's a speed detecting switch that disables the throttle opener system below 13mph. And yes, it's like the carb version of the BCDD. (Or the BCDD is like the FI version of the throttle opener system?)

The throttle opener holds the throttle open a little under high intake manifold situations and that switch disables that system when you are sitting still (<13mph) so you're idle won't hang open. That's why when you goose it sitting still the idle won't hang, but if you push in the clutch and goose the throttle while you are cruising at 30mph, the throttle should hang open a little bit.

See ET-13 for additional details.

On edit - The earlier cars had the throttle opener system, but didn't have the speed related defeat.

Edited by Professor Threadkiller