HybridZ

struts inserts available august 2013... anything?

ok so i called a few different distributors No one has any tokikos-- at least not the BZ3099 MR2 rears to use up front..

even the Koni 8610 are not in stock anywhere - koni usa is sold out and no stock expected in their warehouse in KY until mid sept.. so looking at end of sept to early october to have inserts..

Anyone know or have a set of illuminas or Konis or know where some are for sale?

Jegs website says the Koni 8610 will ship August 6th. Dunno if that will actually happen though. I called a LOT of places trying to find illuminas just a couple weeks ago. I ended up picking up some of the VW bilsteins. Haven't got my car on the road yet so I can't vouch for their performance. I just got stock valved ones so we will see how they work. Plan on using 200F/225R for the moment, might change that after I get to drive it.

Only other reasonable option I could find was some S13 coil overs, but figured all those were going to handle like garbage unless you paid for a really nice set.

-Will

The P30-0032 are about the only available perfoance option now and they are good to 250 lb. in. and may a little more. They can be easily revalued by Bilstien in Poway, CA for $60 each. The hard part is getting the correct gland nut. The P30 is an inverted shock and require its own specific gland nut. The ones shipped with the shock won't work on the S30 strut tube without some fab.

I think making the stock Bilstein gland nuts work is as easy as any other strut. It just requires welding one more thing. The Bilsteins come with the female and male nut. You just weld the female part to the top of the strut and you're good to go. If you cut the threaded portion off, but don't cut all the way down to the thick portion of the tube, the female nut actually has to be slightly press fit in, helping keep it aligned right. Grind out a little lip in the female nut to let the body fit through.  Then the male nut threads into the female nut like a normal setup. Piece of cake if you are competent enough to do your own sectioning.

That's on 280Z strut tubes

-Will

I had them at 300/100 for a couple years. A little too stiff but I ran them anyway. I took more weight out of car AND went up in spring rates last year and found they were undrivable. I gave Bilstein all my data including motion ratios, sprung, and unsrrung weight. They feel great now. The valving they came back with almost exactly where I would have guessed and strangly enough, the same as I calculated from some equation I found on internet.

I like the Bilsteins, it would be nice if they were adjustable, but they are practically indestructible.

Considering that there don't appear to be any sport struts available without going to coil overs, can the bilsteins be used in a non-sectioned strut housing? Maybe with a spacer on bottom to make up the difference? It looks like the gland nut issue can be handled with a little welding, which is not a problem for me.

I currently have eibach stock replacement springs. I'm perfectly happy with the ride height of the car, but the kyb struts that I currently have need to go. Since the tokico struts seem to be NLA, I'm not sure that I have any stick replacement options other than to return to kyb. If these bilsteins can be made to work I might give them a try. Then if at a later date, I do decide to go coil over, I will already have decent struts.

Thoughts?

The P30-0032 are about the only available perfoance option now and they are good to 250 lb. in. and may a little more. They can be easily revalued by Bilstien in Poway, CA for $60 each. The hard part is getting the correct gland nut. The P30 is an inverted shock and require its own specific gland nut. The ones shipped with the shock won't work on the S30 strut tube without some fab.

I'm curious where you get this number, my math suggests that on a 2500lb Z with 50/50 split the should be right around the magical 65% of critical at 325lbs.

I'm using them with 200/225 springs, I like how they ride, I'd rather they were digressive, but the ride is alright still. They come out to 70-75% of critical by my math.

Edited by letitsnow

I tend to prefer more rebound and less compression then the math indicates. So when say a shock is good to some spring rate that's what mean. The math may say more but for the bumpy tracks here on the west coast I prefer more compliance and more platform.