HybridZ

chevy 3.8 v6 swap. 73 datsun

Alright all I guess here will be my build thread. Lol starting off with a 73 datsun 240z. Bone stock. Motor runs but after sitting for years the only "good" thing you can call on this car is the gas tank. So far since I bought it I've fixed the brakes, put a new clutch master cylinder in it. And just gone over what is going to need replacing. Future for it. It's going to get a built 3.8 turbo out of a late 90s camaro. Along with a t56 6spd trans and also an lsd rear end out of a 280. Also gotta fix all the crappy rust. Its going to take a while and if anyone has parts I can get off them for a good deal that would help this project immensely! Ill get pictures up when I can of it later on.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I don't have the engine yet. I would have a while back but seeing my finances for the build dissapear to pay bills I'm having to wait longer. A 4.3 is a great idea for the trans but one is to heavy. If I were to think about doing that I would have done an ls swap. The 3.8 is lightweight and can put the balance where I want. As for the diff ya! What you said. Hahah

• 2 months later...

Update! Picking up 98 camaro 3.8 5spd for practically nothing next weekend. Car was driven by some kid who clipped something. Engime and trans were left intact but the rest is trash beside the wheels that ill turn and sell off for more parts then also of course the rest of what I dont use will either be sold or taken to a scrap metal place to collect that little extra cash. After all that its fabbing everything up and wiring it all up before stock test and tunes with my cousin. Hopefully the next step will either be rebuilding the motor xand setting it up for a front mount turbo and new rear end to handle the power and get it down the road. Should be a fun next couple weeks!

Main wiring would have to deal with the camaro part. Get a wiring diagram of the camaro and everything should be easy. All that really needs wired up to the datsun wiring is the ignition and that's if your going to use the datsun ignition. I'm using other methods since my ignition is so old and I have no clue when it could burn out. So I'm going other ways to make it easy and simple. All the other stuff is body stuff that goes to the fuse panel in the center under the dash (that also is being upgraded as mine is literally melted and fried). Should be a fun swap just don't add to much aftermarket power adders until you upgrade the rear end stock open r180 and half shafts won't handle that torque. I found an upgraded diff and half shafts option that will handle a lot more even with power adders.