HybridZ

So Cal Wiring Guru Needed! L28ET Wiring

The story goes I bought a 73 240z with 280zx turbo pieces and a wiring harness & ecu from a 79 280z. While the car was in my mechanics possession the car suddenly died while he was testing it out. Instead of finding out why it died he decided to proceed to install an 83 turbo wiring harness & ecu. He couldn't get it running and says the car now has no spark and is causing it not to start. I had the car towed back to my house where I have been doing other things to it. I'm a dummy when it comes to wiring and would gladly pay someone who knows what he's doing to get this car back on the road. PM me if your interested and have the know how. Thanks alot

Have you downloaded the FSM for the 83ZX?   There's really not that many things that can be wrong, assuming the guy wired it up properly.  one of the biggest things to check is that the ground straps are connected.  Really it's not too hard once you start identifying the parts.  Get some tape and start labelling connections.  You'll need to know that things like the AFM and temp sensor are hooked up. that the harness has proper power.  Does the engine turn over?  in SoCal there's a couple Z clubs. I'm certain you could get a reputable recommendation from MSA if you give them a call.  There's a lot of Z only shops in SoCal.

Have you downloaded the FSM for the 83ZX?   There's really not that many things that can be wrong, assuming the guy wired it up properly.  one of the biggest things to check is that the ground straps are connected.  Really it's not too hard once you start identifying the parts.  Get some tape and start labelling connections.  You'll need to know that things like the AFM and temp sensor are hooked up. that the harness has proper power.  Does the engine turn over?  in SoCal there's a couple Z clubs. I'm certain you could get a reputable recommendation from MSA if you give them a call.  There's a lot of Z only shops in SoCal.

Most connections are labeled, the wiring harness I bought was pre cut for a swap into a 240. The engine does turn over just no spark.

Well good, no spark is a clue, turning over means the start circuit is intact. At least power to the solenoid, and the battery.  So next we need to verify power to the coil.  with the Key on, test the thin wire to the coil and see if you have battery power on it.  Then test the other wire and see if you have a path to ground.  I don't know the colors for the ZX harness, but it should show them in the  FSM.   If you have power to the coil, but no spark, replace the coil, that could be the original issue too.  I don't know if the 83 coil has a polarity, so best check that.   In anycase you need to have power for that to work.

Well good, no spark is a clue, turning over means the start circuit is intact. At least power to the solenoid, and the battery.  So next we need to verify power to the coil.  with the Key on, test the thin wire to the coil and see if you have battery power on it.  Then test the other wire and see if you have a path to ground.  I don't know the colors for the ZX harness, but it should show them in the  FSM.   If you have power to the coil, but no spark, replace the coil, that could be the original issue too.  I don't know if the 83 coil has a polarity, so best check that.   In anycase you need to have power for that to work.

Coil is getting power. It had a standard 240 coil at first, then I got a used 280zx turbo coil when all the new harness and ecu went in. The used 83 coil was leaking fluid so I bought a new one but haven't had a chance to try starting it with the new one wired up. I guess that would be worth doing ehh?

My mechanic said he checked everything multiple times and his final prognosis was that it must be the ecu. I personally don't think this is the case since the car died with the old ecu in and hasn't started since. I'm sure it's something dumb..just a matter of tracking it down..

My mechanic said he checked everything multiple times and his final prognosis was that it must be the ecu. I personally don't think this is the case since the car died with the old ecu in and hasn't started since. I'm sure it's something dumb..just a matter of tracking it down..

CAS?

Ya, you're boned...  That's gonna take even an experienced L28ET swap guy some time and effort to straighten out.  There are multiple modifications to stock so you're going to need a good knowledge of the stock system(s) to figure out what's been altered and - A. how to make it work OR B. how to get it back to stock.  Unless you find someone stupidly helpful, it's probably going to take a lot more than beer and gas money - no way I'd touch it for that (but then, I don't drink)...

Unless you knew a LOT about the stock harness (and how to repair and rebuild it), I'd say ditch that hacked harness - rip it out, get an unmolested stock harness and start from scratch.  Your life will be easier.

Im too lazy to post the link to my thread on wiring help, search for my threads under my username... Seems like my harness was way worse and i still got it to go with help from cgsheens posts... I had issues other than wiring in the end and ended up bagging it but was very helpful info.

Edited by vale2489

Ya, you're boned...  That's gonna take even an experienced L28ET swap guy some time and effort to straighten out.  There are multiple modifications to stock so you're going to need a good knowledge of the stock system(s) to figure out what's been altered and - A. how to make it work OR B. how to get it back to stock.  Unless you find someone stupidly helpful, it's probably going to take a lot more than beer and gas money - no way I'd touch it for that (but then, I don't drink)...

Unless you knew a LOT about the stock harness (and how to repair and rebuild it), I'd say ditch that hacked harness - rip it out, get an unmolested stock harness and start from scratch.  Your life will be easier.

If I offer $100 to anyone who can help I'll get a bunch of guys who have basic knowledge trying to get some easy money and leave me with a car that sits in the garage. I would much rather get an experienced guy to come and spend some time and get the car running and I give him $500 bucks for finally getting my car back on the road. Basically If I'm offering someone beer and gas it's because I don't think they can handle it. Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Yes a unmolested harness is probably a good idea..

Im too lazy to post the link to my thread on wiring help, search for my threads under my username... Seems like my harness was way worse and i still got it to go with help from cgsheens posts... I had issues other than wiring in the end and ended up bagging it but was very helpful info.

Thanks, Ill take a gander at those

Would it matter if my ecu is for an auto trans? a18-604 046

No auto ecu is fine. I also recommend just buying a stock turbo harness if the harness in you car has a bunch of modifications and isnt working. You should be able to pick up a stock harness for $100 or less

If I were you I would also just read the turbo wiring swap guide on the forums. It could be a very simple fix. They may have just install one wire incorrectly from the ecu to the coil preventing it from getting spark while cranking(which would be like a 5minute fix)

I would come by and help if I wasnt so far away. But be patient and take your time looking for the problem. When I was younger and completely inexperienced I almost gave up too swapping a turbo harness into an S30. I now laugh at myself. it really isnt tuff with no experience if you just have PATIENCE.