HybridZ

Need opinions on original crack free dash car

Hi Gang,

Im not on the forums much these days.. but ive remained consistent in my Datsun livelihood.  I am headed to Portland tomorrow to pickup a 72 240Z that has been covered in a garage since 78..  It's likely one of a handful out there that has its original dash and is currently crack free.  I'd really like to keep it that way!  I will be flatbed towing it back to my place in Salt Lake City, Utah, where its very hot and dry.  Im concerned that the dash will crack in the near future.  So, my question is... What would you guys do, to give the car.. the dash, the best likelihood of remaining crack free?  I plan to put a carpet style dash cover on it (when I pick it up), keep the windows cracked and put a sunblocker in the windshield, but I keep questioning whether I should put some kind of protect-ant on the dash itself?  What would you guys do??  All opinions appreciated.. and please... keep your fingers crossed for me that it doesn't crack on the way home!!

Jason 

I will get a sun shade screen when out doors, park in the shade if possible and keep it garaged. Now they have products that are more friendly to use on dashes , just take care of it. :2thumbs:

Edited by PLATA

I've been using Eastwood Vinyl and Rubber Restore on a few small bits and pieces. Seems to work pretty well, returning some of the original elasticity.

That said, I haven't tried anything near the size of dashboard...

Edit:

I'm actually going to get my windshield tinted to keep my dash uncracked. Something very light, just enough to keep the UV light out, with a slight tint to keep it a little shaded. I'll take my chance with LE :)

There are clear UV blocking tints (bit of a misnomer there, perhaps films is a better word?) available from 3M that would work perfectly for this. It's my plan for the windshield as well.

Edited by LanceVance

Get a product called Aerospace 303 and soak it good as soon as you get to Portland and then use it every other week.  It restores, protects and has UV blocker in it.  Get it at a good auto or boat store.  Use the dash pad and tint your windows with a good metallic or ceramic tint. 35% sides and 50% on the entire front windshield is what I do on all my cars.  Cops here never notice.