HybridZ

building an rb piece by piece

Desert punk

Buy the entire motorset. Will come out cheaper if not the same just because you wont have to track down all the small stuff. Rb25 long blocks I usually see are around $800-$900. Add in $500 for the cheapest rb25 trans and then add ECU, wiring, and all the other miscellaneous items, you're better off getting the entire thing in one go. Saves money (depending on how cheap you got the parts of course if you pieced it) but more importantly saves time and headache.

And 400hp is easy on either the 25 or 26 on stock internals. Just good tune/engine management, intake (on the 25), turbo, FMIC and injectors and theres your 400hp.

Heck, once I drop in my new cams and retune my engine management I should be near 450hp on my RB20. 400 is and easy number with more displacement.

Piece by piece will ALWAYS be more expensive.

I have a heluva time trying to explain to Engineers and Purchasing Agents why after a given point they are better off buying a total gearbox than dealing with a repair.

Example at an oil company in Singapore.

Repair parts quote: $247,000 Plus 10 working days supervision. Which they were agreeing to do...

OR

New Gearbox Complete $132,000 plus three working days supervision for commissioning.

Took from March to July for them to sink in that they could save money, and get a better product.

You will never build a car from the parts department cheaper than you will get it as a whole brought a marketing scam.

You don't think they make money on the sale, do you? It's PARTS for the next 10 years man! PARTS!!!