HybridZ

Drive line clunk caused by T56

I've been noticing a loud clunk when I let off or on the gas while driving.  All my rear end components were brand new/refurbished, so I was suspecting it was a backlash issue (I had added a gear driven LSD to my R200).  I just pulled the rear end and everything was in spec.  

Once the rear end was out, I tried rotating the driveline (still sticking out of the T56) with the car in gear, and I believe the clunk noise is coming from there. I get a fair amount of play when rotating it back and forth.   Anyone else have a similar issue? This is a newly rebuilt T56 from a reputable source.  Is this not an issue in f-bodies because they have better sound deadening?

Sorry guys, I didn't do a good job of explaining this.

With the rear end completely out of the car and driveline sticking out of the transmission (which is in gear),  I can rotate the driveline probably ~5 or so degrees back and forth before it stops.  This ~5 degrees of play is what is causing the clunk.  It is very noticeable when driving, as anytime you let off or step on the gas, it "clunks" to re-engage.

My question is if anyone else has experienced this or if my transmission is messed up.

Edited by matt_w

My car does the exact same thing. My T56 has a bunch of slop in it as well. Its had the same clunk when going from decel to accel(And vice-versa) ever since the LS1/T56 was in my firebird. Same clunk on 3 different rear end setups, its still there on my 8.8 swap. Most definitely in the tranny. More noticeable in higher gears at low rpm.

One of these days I will finally tear down my transmission to rebuild it and hopefully figure out what the issue is and fix it, but that day is a long ways away. Only real downside is shocking the drivetrain on shifts. I think the slop has helped kill a few ujoints. And obviously being extremely annoying and making the car sound like its about to fall apart to other people.

-Will

My car does the exact same thing. My T56 has a bunch of slop in it as well. Its had the same clunk when going from decel to accel(And vice-versa) ever since the LS1/T56 was in my firebird. Same clunk on 3 different rear end setups, its still there on my 8.8 swap. Most definitely in the tranny. More noticeable in higher gears at low rpm.

One of these days I will finally tear down my transmission to rebuild it and hopefully figure out what the issue is and fix it, but that day is a long ways away. Only real downside is shocking the drivetrain on shifts. I think the slop has helped kill a few ujoints. And obviously being extremely annoying and making the car sound like its about to fall apart to other people.

-Will

Thanks, this sets my mind at ease.  I found a few threads on LS1/LT1 boards where people had the same issue, so it must be semi-common.

Sorry guys, I didn't do a good job of explaining this.

With the rear end completely out of the car and driveline sticking out of the transmission (which is in gear),  I can rotate the driveline probably ~5 or so degrees back and forth before it stops.  This ~5 degrees of play is what is causing the clunk.  It is very noticeable when driving, as anytime you let off or step on the gas, it "clunks" to re-engage.

My question is if anyone else has experienced this or if my transmission is messed up.

OH. Yeah, Mine does that. Every T56 I've ever been around does it.  Not really a concern, you just have to drive around it - if you know what I'm saying.