HybridZ

RB25 tranny not mating to RB26....frustrated.

TurboSE

Trying to put my RB25 tranny back on my RB26 and it won't slide all the way in. I can't get them any closer than about 1".

I'm using a Giken STR clutch/flywheel. I used a Z32 alignment tool. The clutch slides onto the splines off the motor, so I know that fits.

Both the engine and trans are out of the car, on the ground. I've tried it with the trans in neutral and in gear. I've tried lining it up with jacks, blocks of wood, an engine hoist. 

I don't want to try and pull them together with the bolts, that idea just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

I've tried a light coating of grease on the input shaft.

Any ideas I'm missing?

I picked up a tranny jack from Harbor Freight, that $80 netted me another 1/4"... could the throw out bearing be resting against the pressure plate and holding me off the last little bit?

Edited by TurboSE

The last pieces to fit are the mainshaft tip in to the pilot bushing and the alignment dowels on the back of the engine, I believe.  It's also possible to jam the pilot bushing deep in to the crankshaft on some engines, although I don't know if there's an inch of space there.  Were you lightly tapping or banging?  Seems scary.

• 6 months later...