HybridZ

Lancer Evo 8/9 Brembo Rear Brakes on 240z You CAN do it

This is my first post on here so let me know if I did anything wrong. Here is one of the mods that I have been working on for my 240z and would like to share it with other members or possibly try it yourself.

I picked up the Brembo rear calipers for $100 and hoping I could make an adapter for it to fit the rear. For the rotors, I used the evo 8 rotors (~300mm) and drilled them into 4 lugs pattern then installed as a free flowing rotor instead of bolting on like the stock one. It cleared my rota 17" RB-R rims and the coilovers but I don't think they will clear with stock suspension and wheels.

For the e-brake, I change the stock one to hydraulic e-brake that I bought on ebay which was about $53. The quality of the e-brake is not bad for the price and performance wise it gets the job done.

For the adapter, I used two 1/2" thick 8"x5" 6061 solid aluminum flat bar to make the adapter which I bought on ebay for $12 each. I thought about using mild steel but this should be strong enough. This whole setup cost no more than $250,if you can find the caliper for cheap  then I think it's way more superior and affordable than the single piston rear brake conversion out there. All the tools I used for this were a jigsaw with the help of cutting oil and a drill.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this or my project. I should have more pics of my project posted on here soon once I have the time. Pretty much all custom work done by me from mil-spec harness to aluminum dash.

post-9134-0-11992900-1377488801_thumb.jpg

post-9134-0-35336800-1377488817_thumb.jpg

post-9134-0-16359200-1377488938_thumb.jpg

Im surprised it was that easy to line up the caliper/rotor- Thats an amazing find.  You should get someone to make those brakes in bulk and offer them as a kit.  Anyone got the specs on the caliper size the evos use for the rear and how the force of them compares to the 240sx calipers a lot of us run?

Those calipers are huge. Sideways, this thread should show you how big they are in comparison to 240sx stuff:

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/449103-how-evo-8-9-brembos-240sx.html

Fitting the fronts would be crazy. What I want to know is why you desiced to have the caliper at the very top like that? was it just space constraints?

Also can you supply pics of the hydro brake and where you T'd it into the rear lines? I'm assuming straight down in the trans tunnel.

I mounted it that way due to clearance issue and the adapter bolts on to the stock drum brake's mounting holes.  I cut a hole in the center console where the ashtray is located and ran the lines through there straight down to the rear calipers. I don't have a picture of the e-brake yet but I will try to take some pictures when I have time.

FYI - fitting the fronts is crazy.  Maybe even ludicrous.  Custom hats.  Custom brackets.  Hub modification.  Very little room for error.  Rears are a piece of cake by comparison.

EVO IX MR Brembos with Wilwood rotors and Wilwood/custom hats.  Still in fab mode.

post-4776-0-08418000-1377536626_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-41679700-1377536637_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-99294500-1377536730_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-51616200-1377536743_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a set of Evo 8 Brembos that I have been hanging onto for a while. I am very interested to see what you come up with for fitment on the front. Looks awfully big on a S30 strut, possible too big. 

What modifications had to be made to the hub?

I mounted my drift brake caliper that way and it slaps the floor pan on a hard bump. Didn't work out well for me.

Keith,

How is the caliper hitting the floor pan on bumps?! Wouldn't the diameter of the wheel/tire need to be smaller than that of the rotor for that to happen?

The maxima caliper has a big lump of steel on the back of it for the emergency brake assembly. That is where it hits-it sticks way out. It hits where the inner fender and floorpan meet. I should have used a different caliper that was non-Ebrake equipped. AZC kit on order so moot point now-though I will miss my handbrake. No good for drifting, but good for starting on hills and staging at the strip.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 6 years later...
On 8/26/2013 at 10:06 AM, Litman said:

FYI - fitting the fronts is crazy.  Maybe even ludicrous.  Custom hats.  Custom brackets.  Hub modification.  Very little room for error.  Rears are a piece of cake by comparison.

EVO IX MR Brembos with Wilwood rotors and Wilwood/custom hats.  Still in fab mode.

post-4776-0-08418000-1377536626_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-41679700-1377536637_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-99294500-1377536730_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-51616200-1377536743_thumb.jpg

What size Watanabes are those? I want to run this brake setup but I really dont wanna ditch the Watanabes.  Also how did this setup work for you?