HybridZ

Nope. There isn't one. All the straight axle guys have writers block. If you search the Internet, look for a gray 240z drag car with a turbo 4.8. He has some pictures posted somewhere but not on this forum. There are some pictures of z cars with ladder bars that you can find with google images:240z 260z 280z drag race. The images show the cars doing wheelies and you can see the ladder bar placement in those pics. But nothing on this form. We are especially hurting for a 4-link write up.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think a 8.8 out of an explorer would work pretty well. 51" width from backing plates, 31 spline, and lsd. Another option would be to use a torque arm setup like the rx7 guys use.

The thing I can't figure out is how to create room for a 4-link. A ladder bar rear looks pretty easy if you let the pick ups for the ladder bar hang way down, but that kills the ground clearance needed to go get groceries in it (or make it down the return track at the redneck tracks where I race). Plus a ladder bar kit makes a z into a wheelie machine, which is something I'd like to be able to adjust out with a 4-link.

• 2 weeks later...

I used F body header on driver side . Had to cut steering shaft in half and added another joint and carrier bearing , still very close to . That's why I'm going turbo . forward facing manifolds .

You won't have any problem with GTs or Camaros . With my stock setup , I was able to keep up with 2010 GT500 convertible ( heavy car , even with 550 HP ) . Mine is a lot lighter now too . No HVAC , no bumper reinforcements .

Not pretty but it works . Joint angle is maxed .

attachicon.gifJPEG Image (30216243).jpg

BTW , I sold the 83 T5 for $500 and the turbo motor for $400 . :-D

IMGP5338

check this out :) i ended up making these suckers i reaally like them.

headers 2

Yeah i am noticing that you cant find any write ups on straight axle swaps. I might just keep the IRS i have been reading that the R200 holds pretty good. If i do deside to do a swap i will do a write up on it.

R200 hold pretty good but I would strongly recommend the CV half-shafts vs the u-joint half shafts.  I've broken two of the latter with a stock LS1.

Zman - I figure you already know this but do NOT drill and tap that one location on the LS1 block when attaching the bell housing. It is deliberately not drilled and tapped because you will get into the back water cooling channel.

I didn't tap that one, just left it blank.  I think it will have enought bolts in it to handle the torque of the 5.3. 

• 3 weeks later...

I read an extensive article on the LS series motors a while back and noted the comment on the one hole not drilled and why.  The comment there was that the remaining bolt holes were sufficient to handle pretty much anything.

Have fun with your build.

• 4 years later...
On 8/29/2013 at 11:49 AM, Domzs said:

I used F body header on driver side . Had to cut steering shaft in half and added another joint and carrier bearing , still very close to . That's why I'm going turbo . forward facing manifolds .

You won't have any problem with GTs or Camaros . With my stock setup , I was able to keep up with 2010 GT500 convertible ( heavy car , even with 550 HP ) . Mine is a lot lighter now too . No HVAC , no bumper reinforcements .

Not pretty but it works . Joint angle is maxed .

post-11413-0-23883800-1377802700_thumb.jpg

BTW , I sold the 83 T5 for $500 and the turbo motor for $400 . :-D

What joint did you end up using. I am having problems finding the right spline count joint 

thats a pretty old post, you will be lucky to get a reply. looks like he drilled threw the shaft on both ends and just put a bolt threw it. there isnt any splines on the universal joint he used. your going to want to support that somehow or it will be floppy. he mentioned a carrier bearing, i think thats what the black painted tab you can barley see is for. the carrier bearing is probably mounted to that tab but you cant see it.