HybridZ

Thought I'd share my new coilover setup

As some of you guys probably know, I'm ditching the Integra coilover setup for something that I haven't seen done before; z32 coilovers.

I'm using Parts Shop Max pro coils, fully adjustable with separate preload and height adjustment. Previously I was using Techno Toy Tuning camber plates on all four corners, I'm switching to an s13 style tophat in the rear and re-using the T3 camber plates up front. Other new suspension mods include all new poly bushings all the way around, Techno Toy Tuning rear LCA's, as well as Toyota S12 front calipers, rear disc conversion, and stainless steel braided lines. 

Had to have a machine shop build custom threaded sleeves to weld onto the spindle, just got the fronts back from being welded and they'll be off to the powdercoater in a few days. Mocked one of the fronts up just to see how everything is looking, and I'm pretty stoked on how it's turning out.

null_zpsb0b0e2ef.jpg

Pretty awesome. I just recently emailed Fortune Auto to see if there was any interest seeing as this Tokico business really screws things up for a lot of us, but they were uninterested.

Curios, how much did it cost having those sleeves made? I'm sure others would be interested once you have it figured out.

I've talked to Dan at Parts Shop Max about building a weld on coilover setup for S30's, but there just isn't enough of a market for it to justify taking attention away from the angle stuff they're working on right now for drift cars to cater to the small s30 market. I don't doubt that sometime in the future they'll come out with a kit for around a grand, but for right now I just built my own kit.

The sleeves ran me about $500 to have machined here in OKC, already had the spindles and Techno Toy Tuning camber plates. As far as all the other T3 parts, I've been sending them as many S30 spindles as I can find around here for cores and they've been sending me parts haha.

I have the Techno Toy Tuning LCA's for alignment adjustment, and honestly I considered running rear camber plates too, but it's my daily and when I had the camber plates with my Integra setup I got a lot of road noise and exhaust through the camber plates. Trying to seal up the cab and make it as comfortable as possible haha

You're right about smoke and exhaust fumes coming through those plates haha. I guess I always figured that if I have to cut a hole in the car I might as well make it adjustable. How much camber are you running in the rear? 

very nice! I am a fan of pbm. I like how they still develop parts for the FC Rx7. Too bad though about no desire for S30 parts. I would assume the potential amount of actual people willing to buy their FC parts would be about the same size of people for S30 parts.  From my ownership of an fc, most of the FC community is broke $$ , only the handful of track guys would spend the cash lol

Any perticular reason why you went with adapting z32 pbm coilovers over mckinny/megans? You could still get the megans re-valved to perform better and upgrade springs http://rallyracingsuspension.com/page12.html But i suppose that would be more costly. 

Edited by Hypertek

Most S30 owners are one missed paycheck away from having to sell the car. Same as most FC owners. If the product is already developed (as is most FC stuff from the early 90s and S30 stuff from the late 70s) then production continues at a slow pace. New product development for these cars makes very little business sense unless an existing product can be adapted cheaply and quickly.

• Like 1

You're right about smoke and exhaust fumes coming through those plates haha. I guess I always figured that if I have to cut a hole in the car I might as well make it adjustable. How much camber are you running in the rear? 

I'm not sure yet, since I don't have the LCA's on yet. With stock arms and camber plates, I was running -3 to -4 degrees. I plan on being close to that with the new setup.

Any perticular reason why you went with adapting z32 pbm coilovers over mckinny/megans? You could still get the megans re-valved to perform better and upgrade springs http://rallyracingsuspension.com/page12.html But i suppose that would be more costly. 

I'm a huge supporter of PBM as well, that's the main reason haha. I've used their products on my FC drift car and s13's, their coils are rebuildable, stiff, tough, they ride good and they go low. And they're gold

So the tube that is welded on is threaded on the inside? so you are able to adjust the height interdependently?

Yes. To adjust height you actually rotate the entire coilover inside that welded on sleeve. Naturally, the length of the shock and the length of the sleeve are going to limit how low you can go, so I put a lot of research into these so that I can go as low as possible and still have full suspension travel and a wide range of adjustability. 

This style of coilover IMO is better than the typical conversion for S30's, since the height adjustment on sleeve-over setups actually affects the preload as well. To lower an s30 a lot with that type of coil, you're practically on the bumpstop constantly unless you go with an extremely short shock and sectioned sleeves, and even then you still don't have a whole lot of adjustability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...