HybridZ

California Legacy License Plate Program

~KnuckleDuster~

I always thought it would be cool to get some blue & yellow original style plates for my Z. Or even better black and yellow to match my black car. Well now you can! I'm going to order a personalized black and yellow for myself, I don't think the blue & yellow will make the 7,500 mark..

http://www.asmdc.org/members/a43/the-california-legacy-license-plate-program/

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Thanks for the information. I always hoped something like this would happen. My front plate needs replacing so it is carried in the passengers compartment and gets tossed on the dash when needed so it is visible from the front as Ca Law states. My back plate still looks good.

My Microbus needs a yellow & black (56-62), though my 66 can use the black & yellow 63-69 (70?)

You are saying this is not a continuation of the "year of issue" plate legislation already on the books? That wasn't how SEMA reported it...time to go to DMV.org...argh...

Edited by Tony D

This 1972 911 was just completed about 3 months ago here in Wisconsin.

How does one get these plates? Are these the ones you are talking about?

srgunz -

I don't think that is a 72. It's most likely a 1969 911 if you ask me (I have one w/ a black plate).

The reason I say this is because the 1972 911 had an external oil filler door. Porsche ran into problems where people started filling gas through this door straight into their engine, so they quickly got rid of it, and moved the filler passage back into the engine compartment as pictured in your image. Of course, among Porsche guys, this makes 72's highly desirable. 

Actually, no...

The "new black plates" are reflective as all current new plates are...

The originals like in that photo (as with the blue & yellow plates) do not have reflective background, only reflective letters....kinda.

The DMV misstates the quip about having to comply with current plate laws requiring reflective plates. There are current plates which are not reflective...

• 3 weeks later...

So do they let you pick what is on the plate - like vanity plates?  Also, do you have to renew them every year?

WA has a "collector vehicle" plate program where you pay $42.50 one time for the rest of the life of the car if it's 25 or older.  No safety or emission inspections either. If they just let us choose what's on the plate it would be the best!

So do they let you pick what is on the plate - like vanity plates?  Also, do you have to renew them every year?

WA has a "collector vehicle" plate program where you pay $42.50 one time for the rest of the life of the car if it's 25 or older.  No safety or emission inspections either. If they just let us choose what's on the plate it would be the best!

Yeah you can pick what you want. All vanity plates require an extra fee once a year so yeah.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...