HybridZ

LC9 5.3 v8 any good i read oil issues

Hi guys for another project im offered a 5.3 08 lc9. Mind you LS based engines are hard to find here in europe. So this is nice low milage example! The powergoal is mid 400's using a cam and intake/headercombo. Wich should be fairly reachable without straining the engine for durability. Or not?

Hoewever i read tons of oil consumption problems among them bulitin 10-06-01-008 by gm.

Anybody know if this is agood candiate for a road race engine? Or would you guys walk away?

I would stay away due to AFM/DOD . I have seen a few trucks in our shop with lifter problem and GM has no solution other then replace all components related to AFM when lifters are collapsed . Unless you can by-pass the AFM/DOD , I don't rec. it .

So that will solve my problem? Or would i be better off buying an e92 m3 v8? As they are available at the around the same prize.. The nightmare there is electronics. If im done with the LC ill have 5 grand into it. Needing a gearbox. Headers cam etc. (It wil go in my gtr e36 race car). The s65b40 will be about a grand more due to electronics... This wil give me 420 hp. The lc9 with a decent cam intake 450? Or is that expecting to much?
Same money would also swap in a s62b50 m5 v8 giving 400 hp and 500nm. Cost there would be the dry sump system.

Im missing torque at the track with my current 3 liter m3 engine so an ls seems a good lighter upgrade. But it is uncharted land for me. The LS type engine is rare here

Edited by frank280zx

My LS does consume some oil and I noticed some occasional throttle lift puff of smoke on the rear facing camera at Altanta Motorsport Park. The engine has less than 20,000 miles on it. I just check the oil and keep it topped up. The oil recommended oil capacity is 6.2 quarts. I know fellas who run 6 and others who run 7. I'm running 7 so it looks overfilled on the dipstick.

All LS parts will need to be ebay bought in the US if i do not want to overpay and have a wider selection of parts.

I'm looking for something fairly bombproof at the given power level, spinning between 4 and 6.5k rpm for prolonged periods.. is the LS a good set up? 

Or would i need allot of maintenance on the engine?

Im such a noob when it comes to the GM stuff!  And honestly i hate oil usage!

The bmw stuff is plenty full here but missing the real torque numbers and due to the multi valve heads heavier!

I like the idea of the LS engine as they seem pretty stout, so my primary question should be altered to: is an lC9 any good or what am i looking at in respect of cams, changes to lifters intakes etc? To make it what i need, so around 450 flywheel or 400ish at the wheels and 500nm of tq?

post-373-0-71932100-1378112113_thumb.jpg

I love the sound of my 406 ZX though lol!

Edited by frank280zx

And the DOhC would be better for sustained high RPMs probably. I don't know how hard it is for you to get to England, but I remember seeing a few times on the pistonheads forum where they get a group of guys to go in on a container. They had some place on the east coast that would hold it for something like a month and would collect everyone's stuff that was shipped there And load it and ship it over. With 30 or so people dividing it up it was cheaper shipping for big items.

I'm going to limit my L33 (aluminum block 5.3) engine to 6250 as I've heard issues with them spinning faster coupled with g forces.

Why not get a 6 liter? It makes 400hp out of the box. Cams/spring/pushrod combos make a big difference on these engines, so that should easily net your 450 hp goal.

Overall, if the price is similar, I think I'd lean towards the BMW engine. While I haven't researched it, I'd guess that it is probably better suited to road racing. LS motors have oiling issues. You can fix them (I bought a trapdoor pan and accusump, others dry sump them), but that's hassle that you might avoid entirely with the Bimmer.

My LS does consume some oil and I noticed some occasional throttle lift puff of smoke on the rear facing camera at Altanta Motorsport Park. The engine has less than 20,000 miles on it. I just check the oil and keep it topped up. The oil recommended oil capacity is 6.2 quarts. I know fellas who run 6 and others who run 7. I'm running 7 so it looks overfilled on the dipstick.

Two words: Catch Can. Either that or bad valve seals.  WIth the mileage on your engine, I'd say you're just pushing oil back through the intake (stock PCV system is a joke).

I used to have TONS of oil in my intake. Since I switched to the CC, not a drop. Couldn't be happier.