HybridZ

heavy steering effort in '72 240Z

I have no other Z's in my area with which to compare, so I am wondering if the steering effort of my '72 240Z is within normal limits.  I've read that these cars do have pretty heavily weighted steering, so it could be that I've become too accustomed to driving more modern, power-assisted cars.  Nevertheless, it would be great if the effort could be reduced a bit in my Z.

I've made some modifications to my car that would increase the steering effort somewhat (slightly smaller steering wheel, slightly oversized tires (205/70 x 14 on typical "slot alloys"), but the entire suspension and steering of the car has been recently overhauled and rebuilt with Tokico Illumina struts, bump spacers, all-new urethane bushing, new urethane steering coupler, new ball joints, tie rod ends, strut bearings, etc., and everything has been properly lubed.  Alignment is within specs, and tires are 36 psi.

Underway, the effort isn't bad, but when making low-speed turns, and in parking, the effort is very high.  I'm running Sumitomo HR 200 tires, as they were one of the very few I could find in this older size and profile.  Kind of reminds me of the old days when running bias-ply rubber on my Volvo P-1800!  As soon as I switched to radials (we're talking the '60's here), it felt like I had installed power steering!  I wonder if just a different make, or size tire would improve the situation?  I've considered "upgrading" to a 15" or 16" wheel, but am afraid the wider tread would make the steering even heavier.

Finally, would it help to reduce the caster setting on the front end?  If so, how can this be done, as there is no adjustment to this setting.  Adjustable camber kits are available, but I've never seen any product that would allow for adjustment to caster.  Any thoughts on all of this?  Thanks.

I have no regrets about being a smartass, so: "Welcome to no power steering. Thats just how it is man!"

In spades, or any other suit you so choose.

That smaller wheel is a KILLER!

Edited by Tony D

I once drove someone's CRX that had a TINY (I mean, almost toy-like tiny) steering wheel because the PO I guess was a bit husky and needed the space... It was just about IMPOSSIBLE to move without rolling.

My wife's '66 Mercedes has no power steering but actually isn't that bad, but the steering wheel is in your lap no matter what. :-( Everything is always a trade off.

Tried my Dad's '63 Corvair Monza, in 1963.  Bus-like, thin plastic steering wheel, and about 5 turns lock-to-lock with bias-ply rubber.  Terminal oversteer.  Great stuff.

Thanks to the post from "beermanpete" re: the adjustable traction control rods.  Didn't know these were available.  Don't know if any adjustment to the caster would be a + or a -, but would like to hear from anyone who has tried this, or who has a valid opinion.  This is the type of response we're looking for when we post a question.

As to the other responses, I may try to (1) eat more spinach, (2) bulk up the forearms, (3) re-install the original steering wheel and skinny tires, or (4) buy a Buick.  Funny thing though, my '07 6-speed manual Volvo S60R (daily driver) will pretty much run circles around my '72 Z, with about 1/5 the effort, and it has power steering!  Go figure.  I'm thinking that not ALL new improvements are necessarily bad.  I don't see Fernando Alonso asking Ferrari to replace his paddle shifters with a stick on the floor!   Doubt it would help him beat Vettel anyway.

This is easy to test.  Just jack up the front wheels off the ground and see how hard it is to turn the wheel. if it's easy then that's just how it is. if you're having trouble with no tire resistance, then you may need to look ar your steering rack.  There's a few ways to add power steering to these cars. We definitely get spoiled when our other cars are more modern, but likely it's not the car.  For the PS addition, look up Subaru Power steering or electric power steering. Both work well and have been proven on and off the track.

Caster adjustment in the name of low speed steering becomes an insurance claim at speed...

I'm with Tony on this. Using caster adjustment for sake of steering at low speed is a fool's folly. I'd only adjust caster in tuning at the track, as certain tires like different caster amounts. Other than that I just make sure they're within spec and the same as each other side to side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Smaller steering wheel will make your bicep bigger. I once swapped the smaller racing steering wheel from my tiny 323 Mazda to the Z and changed it right back after Costco trip. I think they make that big steering wheel in the Z is for a reason.