HybridZ

Horizontal Space

nacitar

I'm not a very big guy, but I don't have a small frame either.  I've only driven my 280z a few times (WIP), and when I have I always feel very horizontally confined; My left arm has almost no operating space.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed such things and had some commentary ("I did <X> and it seems to have helped!", or "Eh, you get used to it and don't even notice it anymore").

I definitely noticed the same thing when I first drove my 280Z.  The car is pretty narrow and you really do notice it, especially with your left arm.  I would say though that after a while you will get used to it and it won't be a huge deal.  I'm 6'0" and 190lbs so not small, but not really huge.  I guess if I had a suggestion I would say try to leave your window open.  It gives a place to put your arm sometimes and makes things a bit less cramped.  you can't really make the car wider or move the seat so I don't really see any way to make it better.  Every time you get into the Z from another car you will definitely notice a different, but it just becomes another little quirk that makes the car interesting.

My comfort zone is better in the RHD cars as the pedal layout isn't skewed. Your right foot goes straight out from the seating position, whereas when I sit in the LHD Car I'm ever so canted to the left....which is like rolling into that door.

Perhaps you're sensitive to it and simply need a Fairlady Z instead of an Export model?

And as far as the car being "narrow" or claustrophobic....try a four-door Lincoln Town Car, or ANY modern car....they are HUGE by comparison...but my elbow rubs this, knees rub that, head hits this, can't see over there...

I've put 15,000 and 18,000 mies on Z's in two and three week periods... Two pieces of HVAC Foam were all that was necessary. One over the window crank knob as my left knee rested right on it (LHD Car Problem, not in the RHD Car) and on the Aftermarket AC Pod which was rubbing on the Right Knee (AGAIN in the LHD Car, not an issue in RHD as AC Control was elsewhere by design!)

The 7,500 miles in a week in my new-to-me 2002 Ford F150 had my left knee on the window crank...and no ledge for my left elbow along with the window sill poking me with the lock knob...

I would not be considered "small", and in fact I very nearly am the original passenger compliment of the first 240Z alone.

I do tend to hang my arm out the window, but when I run windows-up there is sufficient space for that arm inside as well on both LHD and RHD versions.