HybridZ

Z Defeats Ricer without even moving

Phantom

Years ago I lent my son (DarthZ) my 280Z28 so he could take his young wife out on a date.  While he was stopped at an intersection a "modified" Honda came up next to him and started revving his hamsters and indicating he wanted to race the shiny red old Z.  Eric gently put his foot on the throttle, revved the car to about 3,500 RPM, and then let it idle down. The Honda driver suddenly realized from the throaty sound of the exhaust that it wasn't a 6 under the hood and then just looked straight ahead.  When the light changed my son drove gently away and the Honda followed meekly after him. :-)

Did the same thing myself a few years ago and as the guy looked at me-as if he was still up to the challenge I calmly said, "don't force me to embarrass you in front of your girlfriend".  He looked quite shocked then drove off modestly, as did I.   My passenger broke into a hysterical laugh as we pulled away from the light then proceeded to tell the story when we arrived to the party we were headed to.

Very nice,

I have a story but it started out embarrassing and I only have a little old 3.1. I was taking my wife up to Lake Tahoe via the Mt. Rose Hwy. I had just been lopping down the hwy in 5 th. gear then pulled off the hwy to a stop light. A BMW M 3 pulls up next to me. I had a feeling this guy was going to want to race but I knew If I revved the motor to clear the 3.1s throat, it would scare him. Plus I thought I would show off for the wife. The light turned green and we both jumped. My plugs being all fouled, the Z just stumbled. I clutched it, revved and it stumbled again. I repeated the process as the M3 is walking away from me. This time the motor cleared. I started rapidly gaining on him.(There are long distances between some stop lights in rural Nevada) As I shifted into 3 rd. he  instantly started looking in his mirrors as he could hear the beautiful sound of the Webers sucking his M3 in.. At approximately 6000 RPM in 3 rd. I flew buy him. The look on his face, Priceless. Just an old Z car.

Shifting up, as you pass is particularly demoralizing...

Though I did pas a 3 Series BMW going uphill into Tahoe from Reno in a Geo Metro Automatic. Floorboarded, at 45mph around a curve, almost on three wheels. 

Talk about embarrassed... Ultimate Driving Machine: Geo Metro!

Shifting up, as you pass is particularly demoralizing...

Though I did pas a 3 Series BMW going uphill into Tahoe from Reno in a Geo Metro Automatic. Floorboarded, at 45mph around a curve, almost on three wheels. 

Talk about embarrassed... Ultimate Driving Machine: Geo Metro!

That is funny.

K-series hondas around here were fun to play with when I had the hi-comp, cammed 2.9. it was a dead heat till I shifted to 3rd and started pulling away. They had the power, but not the gears. We shut'em down at 70 out here on the parkway, nobody needs a ticket, the track is right across town if we need more than that.

Wife and I were headed to prayer meeting in north Dallas years  ago.  Just as we were passing the old Dallas Cowboys stadium a shiny new bright red SRT-4 Neon pulls alongside.  I was paying attention to the road when my wife says, "Bill, I think he wants to race you."  That almost put me in shock as my wife does not like anything like that and is normally pretty vocal about it.  Once I recovered I looked to the left just in time to see the Dodge jump ahead of me a bit.  At that point I downshifted from 6th to 4th and slowly came alongside of him.  Once I got beside him I caught his attention, downshifted to 3rd, and "puff' I was gone.  When he finally caught me after I was back down to 60 he was actually laughing.  The guy was cool about getting smoked by an old couple in an old Z.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is to check the wind direction, put on the line lock and burry the other car in a cloud of tire smoke. When the light changes, I just creep away leaving him in a smoke screen. That line lock is so much fun. Gonna finish my side-exit electric exhaust cutouts this winter-another fun toy, but nothing more than that. Hilarious at a drive-thru window.

• 3 weeks later...

I love all these stories lol. People always think I have a 350 under the hood because of the really lopey cam and deep sound of my 2.4, so they think they're clever by trying to take me onto highway on-ramps. I just follow, tail them comfortably while their tires are screaming, pass them, and fly away on the off-ramps. Our ramps do a 3/4 turn to merge onto the highway, which gives plenty of room to pull away if you can out-handle them.