HybridZ

Has anyone ever turned a 240z into a 2+2?

nzarano

clearly space would be a bit cramped but i think with minimal modifications it could be done... I have two small speaker boxes behind my seats that i plan on removing, putting the speakers directly into the sheet metal and in the little cubby things, then drilling a rail inbetween an around the cubbies to put a bench seat on and small people can dangle their feet behind the front seats. with the rail the seat would be able to slide backwards and forwards so the cubbies could still be used..... ideas? suggestions?

p.s i did search the forums and honestly couldn't find anything, however if someone knows of something like this that has been done or something on the forums that is about this please let me know!!

Edited by nzarano

2+2 with the back seat removed and extended seat runners is a very nice ride!

I prefer the 2+2 because I can lay the seat back further than I can in a Coupe...

Hell, you can probably BUY a 2+2 for as much as you're gonna pay for that hideous seat kil!

I mean, a 2+2 is a 2+2... Nothing wrong with that.

A Coupe is a Coupe damnit! I mean, you're talkin' dogs and cats sleeping together here now!

• Like 1

I've been considering doing this to my 240z for a while. My kids are 5 and 8 and could fit in a really small seat for a few more years. Also, I just don't like the body lines of the 2+2. I had seen the photos Plata posted in the thread earlier and it doesn't seem too hard of a project. I also think doing something like the early 911's would work pretty well too. 

9718055309_881c7058ab_o.jpg
706282 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

This is a picture of a 944 back seat. This might be a better fit than the 911 seats. It looks like if you remove the storage cubbies this would be a very close fit.

This might just become my winter project this year. I personally am not looking for a big back seat. I bought my car before I had kids and 2 seats was no problem. With two little kids, it would be nice to go to a car show or out with the family in one car every once in a while. I've done so much work to my car and really like how it has turned out. I would rather not start over with a 2+2 end end up with a car I don't like as much. 

That being said that dark grey 2+2 that Plata posted is the best looking one I've ever seen. If I was just starting a project now I would probably look for a 2+2 and do something similar.

9718548483_5e3c128c3e_z.jpg

You know, if someone is talking about putting their kids in the "back seat"... Consider the 2+2 has proper belt anchors for not only lap and shoulder harnesses but for child seats as well.

I'm sure all over the third world kids pile on to scooters with mom dad brother sister whatever...

Putting your kid in a cobbled seat of an ersatz 240 "conversion"?

<insert sarcastic Darwin comment here>

• Like 1

You know, if someone is talking about putting their kids in the "back seat"... Consider the 2+2 has proper belt anchors for not only lap and shoulder harnesses but for child seats as well.

I'm sure all over the third world kids pile on to scooters with mom dad brother sister whatever...

Putting your kid in a cobbled seat of an ersatz 240 "conversion"?

<insert sarcastic Darwin comment here>

I totally agree.  Without the proper seat belts, one may as well just have the little darlings crawl in through the rear hatch and snug them down with the luggage straps.

Dennis

I agree that you would need proper seat belts and anchors as well.

I personally wouldn't consider doing this if it wasn't done correctly.

The original pictures of the aftermarket seat Plata posted probably were ok back in the 70's when most people didn't wear seat belts, smoked with their kids in the car, and even rode around in pickup beds. Today is different though. Just driving a classic car is taking more risk than a new car, from a crash impact perspective, but we all do it.

I don't see how a converted car like we are discussing would be any more unsafe than a factory 2+2 if done correctly. The back seat would just be smaller. For some people like myself that would be preferred over an extended squared off roof line just to fit larger seats. I don't need space for adults. 

I prefer how Porsche didn't butcher the look of there cars for a back seat, they just made the seat smaller. It was no secret that it was only for very small people. Although they screwed that up with the new Panamera. It's direct competitor, the Aston Martin Rapide is a better approach to a modern 2+2 in my opinion. The head room for the rear passengers might be a little lower, but they didn't make the back of the car ugly and kept the signature styling of their cars. I had a Porsche 928 that had very small back seats that could still fit a booster child seat. It took a while to find one that fit, but I did.

I added rear seats to my work van for the same reason. I need to pick my kids up every once in a while and it only came with 2 seats. I probably could have just bought a passenger van and stripped almost everything out. Instead I inspected what the differences in the passenger vans and cargo vans were and then welded reinforcing steal at all the anchor points in the floor and upper seat belt roof point just like the factory did. Actually, I even made it a little thicker for piece of mind. I sourced seats that exactly matched my front bucket seats and people that see it think it came like that from the factory. My biggest issue with the back seats in passenger vans is they are all benches except in some conversion vans. I needed a clear path down the middle so I could load long lumber inside. I can fit 12' boards in my configuration.

Overall, my thinking is that cars are designed to appeal to as many people as possible. They were not designed for every individuals needs or wants. If I want something that isn't or wasn't available, I just make it myself. I would think that is a common thought process on this forum. Safety is always an important part of the process and there is no reason this can't be done that way.

They're your kids and your car, but I wouldn't bet my kid's safety and well being on a handcrafted rear seat and belts no matter how capable I was at design and construction.  A stack of 12' boards, yes.  The kid, no. 

That being said, I rode home from the hospital in my mother's arms the day after I was born.  Riding "shotgun", no seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, or rear facing padded car seat.  Sixty-six years later, I'm still safe & sound.

Dennis

Handcrafted is what pays my bills.

In almost all instances I would rather have something that is handcrafted over something made in a factory. The quality and attention to detail is much higher.

An almost 40 year old 2+2 isn't something the general public would think is safe to drive kids around in. It is so far away from modern safety standards. My point is that if someone is willing to drive there kids around in the old 2+2, then if the conversion is done correctly, it shouldn't be any different from a safety comparison. Comparing the conversion to a modern car is no contest. The modern car will obviously be safer.

I wouldn't do something like this to use a a daily driver that I regularly drive my kids around in. That is what my wife's car is for. She get's the nice, new car. It would mainly be the same as it is now, my fair weather toy. Bringing my kids to a local car show down the street in the 240z a few times a year, and a handful of similar type drives a year is something I could live with.

this has sort of strayed from the point, look when it comes to safety forget it with these cars, they have no airbags, most dont have 3 point seatbelts, they dont have anti-locking breaks, etc....sitting in the front seat isnt exactly safe by modern standards... moving along i understand safety should be thought about for this scenario but the point (at least for me) of this conversion is for when there are three or four of us (were young adults but some of us are pretty small) possibly and my car is the only option for a quick drive, i dont need 5 point harnesses or recaro seats back there i just need something simple enough that they can put their but in and have a bit of back support to travel a mile or two, possibly less without them having to sit on that shelf behind the seats bouncing around, a seat would keep them in place a bit more but more importantly make them more comfortable, also if by chance a police officer is to stop us it would not look like we had just shoved two of my buddies in the trunk  ....i was looking for ideas to see if it had been done before and to see if people had suggestions ( clearly people have safety suggestions..)

But , IMO an early Z is far safer in good hands compare to this fine Brit  Classic post-36683-0-23706500-1379007820_thumb.jpg and FWIW on Ebay a 2+2 (with factory back seats and belts) for a song http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Datsun-280Z-2-2-Automatic-/300962123397?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4612bd8e85#v4-42  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA