HybridZ

1978 280Z 5.3/A4 project

I like the setup and I went ahead and put in the modern motorsports adapters and 300zxt axles during my swap. How do you like that cam? I've got an almost identical setup with an 02 5.3 from an avalanche and am looking into a cam. Any videos of it at idle or on the dyno? Can't wait to see what numbers you put down after a stronger axle setup!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those little baby u-joints are the reason why I haven't tried to take my Z to the track yet . Even on the street , I don't jump on it , too risky .

Your right, they are little. The street is where I'm safest as far as hooking because it doesn't. It just blows the tires away. Brings a smile to my face every time. A plus though is that the U-joints are quite easy to change out.

I like the setup and I went ahead and put in the modern motorsports adapters and 300zxt axles during my swap. How do you like that cam? I've got an almost identical setup with an 02 5.3 from an avalanche and am looking into a cam. Any videos of it at idle or on the dyno? Can't wait to see what numbers you put down after a stronger axle setup!

I just purchased a set of 300zxt axles from craigslist and was going to go that route but I just found out that Modern Motorsports is down. Ross passed back in June from cancer and a person named Joe seems to be trying to keep his business going. I've got an email into him so I'll know more on that later. Might have to have adapters made here in town. I like the cam and the lope. It's the Goldilocks cam, not to big and not to small. ha ha  I have a few dyno vids that I'm going to upload to Youtube when I get home. I'll post the link then.

• 2 weeks later...

The Z and I headed back out the track again on Friday (10-11-13) and had some more fun. We didn't break anything this time and ran some good times. The first pass was a 12.27 which was a whole 1 100th of a second better. It hooked good so I gave it all the next run. It wheel hopped again even with the new struts I just installed. I was able to lift quickly, keeping it in one piece and finished with a high 12 second run. The next coulpe of runs I ran the cutout open and that seriously killed the torque. More high 12's. Finally on the last run of the night I finally dipped into the 11's. It ran a 11.90 at 115 with a 1.813 60ft. I know It's not that fast but it was exciting as hell for me. I think I said yes about 20 times while driving through the pits. LOL  There is still one more test and tune this season and I'm going to try and make it. A friend has a few nitrous kits laying around and I might ask nicely if he'll let me borrow one for next time. We shall see. 

Sounds like fun. I would put slicks ahead of NO2 to allow more fun between breakages. Gotta stop the wheel hop or you will be breaking a lot.

Slicks are definitely on the list. As long as I launch easy it will hold up until slicks fit in the budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a set of slicks on Craigslist for a killer deal so I quickly grabbed them up. Tonight I realy let loose on the Z for the last test and tune of the season. The track was packed all night long so I was only able to make two runs before the track closed. Boooo. My quickest run was a 11.74 at 115mph with a 60' of 1.66. WOW do slicks make a difference!

I think I have ran as fast as I can go with my current setup so this winter will be spent adding my Turbonetics turbo I purchased way back when I started this whole swap. Bout time! 

post-8245-0-45481100-1382778703_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...