HybridZ

260 vs 280 fuel tank

ct260z

Finally started working on my '74 260Z.  Car has sat (inside) for over ten years.  Fuel tank had a leak and has been removed. Anyone have suggestions regarding replacement or refurbishment.  Prefer something local to Ct.  Searched on-line, only came-up with a place in PA (Moyer Fuel Tank) that refurbishes. Tried Zcarsource; no dice.  Checked Bad Dog's web site; didn't show anything for a 74.  Sent an e-mail request through the site, no reply. Someone I know, who deals in vintage auto's, suggested AII radiator in Bridgeport. They did some work for me about 30 years ago on a tractor & I had no problems; didn't know they were still in business. Brought them the tank, thought they could help. After cleaning; the feeling is it's too compromised and I should find another core.

Which brings me to my question - Can someone tell me if the early 280 fuel tank (to 7/76) is the same as a late 260 tank (9/74 to 11/74). They look the same in the drawings. 280 tanks seem to be available as salvage whereas the 260s are almost impossible.  Also any other parts or refurbishment sources.  Appreciate any help.
Thanks - Harry

I'm pretty sure that people use the early 280Z EFI tank in 240Z's when they switch to EFI because they want the internal baffles and the bigger fuel lines for the high-flow/pressure EFI fuel pump.  Should work fine for a 260Z since it's in the middle.

I'm just interpolating, no actual experience with a 260Z tank.

I believe the 260Z tanks were all similar to the 240Z in the shape, since they fit under the tirewell which fit a full sized spare.  the 280Z uses a doughnut spare so the tank can be a different size  I don't know about what size the nipples on the 260 tank would be. but likely you can fit a 280Z tank in there no problem. it may just fit slightly differently. 260Z's were only made for 1 year, thus their scarcity.  There's a guy w/ a Z junkyard here in Albuquerque, who might have a 260Z tank if you can't find one anywhere else. PM for the info.

Found a guy in PA who says he has one & will ship.  Will probably pull Monday & give me and update.  If the news isn't good I could use info regarding yard in Albuquerque.  Not sure what PM  means, so a reply via post would be appreciated.

Thanks - Harry

No, they are not.

The physical dimensions are very close, but the fuel pickup is the big difference.

The 260 has an 8mm (5/16) fuel pickup, 6mm return

The 280 has a 12mm (7/16") fuel pickup, 6mm return

For the life of me I can not remember if the J-Bolts were from my 260 or the Donor 280! On a 240Z you ABSOLUTELY need the longer J-Bolts from the 280Z to get the tank straps to fit. I don't THINK that was the case on my late 260...but if you can manage to also get the bolt set and/or straps from the 280Z tank you would sleep easy knowing if nothing else you have spares! (My straps were cut in half to remove the tank...so they became "end donors" being welded to a 304SS Strap with 309 TIG Rod

If you are OK using an adapter on the EFI tank to the smaller line, then go ahead, use it. I put a 6/75 EFI Tank in my 12/74 260Z when I did the Turbo EFI Swap. As I recall, there may have been vent hose differences, but caps, plugs, or simply som Nylon66 barbed hose transitions (5/8"x1/2" or 5/8"x3/8" depending on what fuel line size you can tolerate for your vent hoses...) and you're set!

I convert all those large 15mm vent lines to 3/8" with the adapter fittings (same as used on the Z and other Datsun stuff of the period.) I haven't used a stock set of vent hoses in 20 years! Cheap to do, and leaves those vent hose openings for running trailer harnesses through, etc... Tank easily holds 5psi leak test pressure overnight, so SMOG check pass, and the fuel lines don't seem to deteriorate as quickly as the original braided covering hoses do!

Edited by Tony D