HybridZ

Lug Nut Help, Acorn or Mag??

Hybrid Army, I'm in no way a wheel expert so to many of you, this will be a very dumb question.  I have these wheels that I reconditioned but I don't know if they lug nut type for these wheels are Acorn or Mag.  The have a small recess that looks like it could be acorn but at the same time, there's a large flat area that looks like it could be for a washer on a mag style lug nut.  I'll toss the BEFORE reconditioning pic below so you can check it out:

post-29804-0-09028700-1379568060_thumb.jpg

post-29804-0-05488700-1379568952_thumb.jpg

post-29804-0-98407600-1379568963_thumb.jpg

Also, if you're curious, I'll throw in some pics of how they looked after I reconditioned them:

In this picture, The two non-painted wheels have been grinded/sanded to remove the pitting, peeling, and corrosion.

post-29804-0-56876800-1379568581_thumb.jpg

post-29804-0-99369300-1379568591_thumb.jpg

As always, Thanks for the help.

EDIT:  Test Fit Picture

post-29804-0-70193500-1379601470_thumb.jpg

post-29804-0-79807500-1379601791_thumb.jpg

Edited by AkiraZX

Thanks for the reply, Blue.  You're always good for a reply.  You're like a Z Angel.  :icon12:

Unfortunately, I don't have any lug nuts laying around.  I did try out the stock nuts and they didn't fit very well.  Unfortunately, I don't remember in what way they failed.  Looks like I'll have to try it out again.  Also, these wheels were given to me (in horrible condition but still free!) so I don't have the previous nuts for reference.  

Take a look at my first post again.  I edited it to include a picture from when I did a test fit.  It looks like there might be some space there.  I might just have to buy some nuts to test it out.

They look like holes for mag lugs.  If I recall correctly aluminum wheels need an angled steel seat if they use acorn lugs.  Just like a valve in a cylinder head.

I do not believe thats correct.

OP -  60 degree conical seat lugs would be my guess.

I do not believe thats correct.

OP -  60 degree conical seat lugs would be my guess.

I accept that I may be wrong, but all the aluminum wheels I've ever seen for acorn type lugs have a steel insert to take the pressure of the cone.  I would not trust an aluminum seating surface for lug pressures.

I ran those ARE wheels for ten years. They use a standard tapered lug nut. I think that is what you guys are calling an acorn nut.

Weeee!  I'm surprised you knew they were ARE wheels since there are other wheels that look just like them.  I just went to the shop and bought some acorn nuts and they work perfectly.  Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone else who chimed it too.  As always, I appreciate it.

One last note, I do wonder if these wheels can run both acorns and mags because that area around the hole definitely look like a groove for a washer.  Anyway, acorns it is!

Acorns, or conical, as SunnyZ pointed out, lug center the wheel. Mag style nuts center the wheel based on the roundness of the holes. As my weld Draglites will attest, the holes wallow and elongate with frequent wheel changed. I think conical nuts are a better plan so long as you are not using thick slip on spacers. Higher end wheels with conical seats can have steel inserts, but in expensive wheels like the ARE do not. If you are going to be doing lots of tire changing, consider putting a scant amount of anti-seize or grease on the conical portion. Those AREs were produced in the 1990s and are discontinued. I sold a set in the classifieds and had to virtually give them away for shipping. They look nice painted or cleared. I just hated keeping them clean.

Thanks again RebekahsZ and Beermanpete.  I bought a set a conical lug nuts to use.  I am going to be using spacers.  I ordered 1.5" hubcentric spacers as the front wheels rub on the struts.  They're bolt-on spacers.  Hopefully that shouldn't cause an issue.