HybridZ

Zinc Plating: Ways to preserve?

LanceVance

Disclaimer:

First off, let me state that I'm fully aware of the standard use of zinc plating, being a sacrificial layer to protect underlying metal components. It was never intended to be a solely aesthetic component, and that it losing it's luster over time is simply a function of it doing the job it was intended for.

I would like to direct this discussion however into the light of a classic car restoration mentality. Zinc plating is both pleasing to look at with it's golden shine coupled with hues of red green and blue and a desirable provider of contrast where chrome or powder coat is unwanted or overstated.

It can provide a level of OEM completeness and finish to even highly modified engines. It is for this reason that I have spent many hours prepping a multitude of parts for zinc plating. Considering all the work I've done already, I am now looking for ways to preserve the plating before I reassemble the various components that they belong to. I've considered clear powder coat or paint but given the different sizes and complexity of parts this will only work on a few of the large pieces. Small parts (screws, nuts, etc.) are always going to be impractical to PC or paint, and would likely chip during installation either way.

Now I am asking members of HybridZ, what have you done or considered doing to preserve zinc plating? We've got enough old Hot Rodders, fabricators, platers and powder coaters not to mention our walking Wikipedia; someone else has to have thought about this!

Some eye candy I saved from somewhere, just to get the wheels turning:

watercoverexplode_zpsf0895f2f.jpg

There used to be a product called Zoop seal, but I believe another company purchased the formula or rights. It is supposed to last three years from application and not tarnish or change color from its clear state. What ever the current state or visual appearance if the metal before application is what you will see. If you search zoop seal you will come across a cobra valley (iirc), they can explain farther. I have yet to apply the product myself, but have a boat load if polished aluminum and chrome to cover.

Is that Zinc plating or Cadmium plating? I thought Zinc plating was silver and Cadmium was the gold/green/purple color of the stuff you posted.

I believe the original plating is in fact cadmium however yellow zinc chromate is usually considered an acceptable substitute (similar appearance and protective properties). It can be difficult to find someone to do cad plating due to it's inherent toxicity and restrictions placed on it's use.

Clear lacquer... There was a clear electrostatic coating as well...

I've considered lacquer but I worry how it would hold up to under hood temps... I've boiled some before and it was hell to remove. Are you referring to clear PC or something more specific? I'm probably going with a high temp clear powder on some of the larger items...

There used to be a product called Zoop seal, but I believe another company purchased the formula or rights.

This looks promising! After just a few minutes research I came up with some interesting information. It seems the original owner simply renamed and updated the brand and formula. Seems like a bad idea considering most references to 'Zoop' imply the business went under! Took a page right out of the Datsun-to-Nissan brand name marketing book...

Here is the new product, ShineSeal.

The other option is to hide it away in a climate controlled storage unit :).

Something tells me the wife would object to me converting the garage... Edited by LanceVance

A storage sea container can be very easily climate controlled.

I know someone who has 40'ers in their yard where they store Cotillion Gowns and the like...right next to his machine-shop barn and Deisel Mercedes Hoarde...

If Miss Universe / Miss America competitors can trust their gowns to a climate-controlled container....your car is in good hands! Though the carpeting is probably overkill...

I believe the original plating is in fact cadmium however yellow zinc chromate is usually considered an acceptable substitute (similar appearance and protective properties). It can be difficult to find someone to do cad plating due to it's inherent toxicity and restrictions placed on it's use.

Good to know.  

• 1 year later...

There used to be a product called Zoop seal, but I believe another company purchased the formula or rights.

Following up on this, looks like this is the company who is producing it now:

http://www.shineseal.com

Edit: DOH! Already posted this info on post #6! Oh well, shameless forgetfulness bump.

I will probably look into purchasing this rather than do any coatings on each and every but and bolt. Perhaps for some of the larger parts I'll do a clear powder coat.

Edited by LanceVance

I went waaay overboard on the polished engine goods...

I'm just starting down that road:

IMG_20141123_113558_764_zpszsr4glod.jpg

Plan is to mock assemble everything in the engine bay, and then send all the steel to the plater before final assembly. Fortunately, I prefer aluminum in its raw cast appearance, so I've forgone all that drama...

A company called Caswell Plating offers DIY yellow-zinc plating kits. The stuff looks identical to cadmium plating. Only real way to tell the difference is under a microscope.....doubt any judges at car shows are gonna do that. :lol:  I've used Caswell's products in the past and plan ti use them again in the restoration of my '73.

Many if not most prominent restorers are using yellow zinc plating to substitute for cadmium these days due to the chemicals involved in Cad-Plating and the many restrictions imposed on those companies that do it by the EPA.

Here's a link to Caswell's site:  http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits.html