HybridZ

S30 LSX Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers

Long tubes move the power (peak) range up, if you want a torquer set up stay with the shorties. 20-25 rwhp is not bad for 950 bucks, I dropped that for my headers. I have not run shorties in years and will never go back, they sucked on my 240Z. They (Sandersons) burned up collector gaskets monthly, the nuts and bolts warped and froze/locked up. That alone is reason to throw the shorties away regardless of the horsepower numbers.

I'm "trying" to provide perspective here to add a little clarity on the whole HP numbers discussion...

I work with a tuner and his VERY LOW NUMBERS dyno when I tune my car.  My last motor configuration in the zcar had a 450HP 383 stroker that would turn 415 to the wheels all day long on a traditional dynojet drum.  On Evan's Superflow dyno the motor would ONLY show 323hp.  It had a load applied to it and it was an eddy current dyno.  So I knew going in that people would poopoo the numbers.  Yet data logs showed the motor was making very strong power and that was all we needed to start "really" dialing the car in for our intended purposes.  What were they?  How much can we compress the time it takes to get from 2000 RPM to 6000RPMs.  Why?  That's where my roadrace application would live.  When we started tuning, we had the motor running well over 9 seconds from within that range.  When we were done, we were down into the low 6 second range.  Now think about that for a moment.  every time I brake and get the car going into the corner, I'm low on RPM, right?  Going out of a corner and getting the car "back up to speed" is where roadraces are won.  In a 30 minute sprint imagine how much that 3 seconds of compressed RPM ZONE gets me over not tuning with the proper components?

How this applies to the header power discussion is simple.  Everything you do to remove the restrictions will aid in the overall efficiency.  20 HP doesn't seem like a lot, until it is.  I'm hoping the addition of 1 3/4 LTs to my 403 stroker LS3 will have the same desired effect, based on all the components in the package.

Enjoy!

Edited by Mikelly

All participants in this thread should be required to wear a smoking jacket, sport an ascott and mumble in a British accent. Tanner Foust could drop in every once in a while to make us feel legit. We could all use words like "bugger", "bloody" and "blymie." Them long tubes sure are a bugger to put on! Blymie, they make me car faster! They look bloody good when I lay under me car, Old Chap! Then we get some idiot movie stars to trash our cars around a track and see who is fastest. We could film it and make a bundle.

Nobody has stated the specs. on the motors in question.

If the gains are 20hp on an engine that is stock or minimally modified, then the benefits will increase with the continued radicalizing of the engine.

I'm sure a golen 725hp N/A LSx engine would post a much more dramatic increase when comparing long tube headers with shorties.

https://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/ls-engines/ls-hp-replacement-engines/454ci-725hp-lsx-hp-replacement

Hi,
 Sorry for the long delay guys , been swamped in the shop as well as trying to get this car together,I will be starting a build thread as well on the car but I wanted to post some pics of the mounts and headers , I do have headers in stock and will have a new shipment of motor mounts and trans cross members for T56 only next week. I will post some pics below . IF ANYONE INTERESTED IN PARTS OR HAS QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECT bruce@hawksthirdgenparts.com as this is the best way to get me through out the day for questions or if you are looking to purchase parts. Please understand I do not get alot of extra time to get on the boards but I can anwser emails all throughout the day. Thanks again!

Nice build! Waaaaay to close to what I have lol.

And to add to the topic, I installed the LT's for a few reasons. Dropping the exhaust with the shorties was a bear. Getting to the collector flanges was difficult to say the least and on Clives car with 3" downpipes, virtually impossible. IMO the LT's sound is much better than the shorties. Stainless looks waaay better than the coated shorties. And they produce more power. I'm not going to get sucked into the "how much more power" discussion, but there is an increase.

Joe

Edited by rags

• 1 year later...

Well ok then.  I'm bloody well confused.  My mind keeps going back to college days and calculating AUC.

Really?  All I want is some stainless long tube headers in a large diameter.

Has it been determined if the Hawks long tube headers will fit a 240z?