HybridZ

Ferrari 250 GTO kit

Guest 4.3L 280z

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

The recent work quality on Thunder Ranch products is not up to Stable Auto Works or Vello Rossa (which is about out of business now) I have seen all three and have the Stable coupe. Nezzie 76 has the Thunder Ranch front clip and the Vello Rossa rear. The Thunder Ranch front looks like it was pulled from a worn out mold and warped.Thunder Ranch (Tom McBurnie) has been around a long time and has problems. John Washington had the Vello Rossa works and maintained a very good reputation but sold out . Too bad.Puckett Auto Works (old timer) is still around and apparently offers a very good product and fairly faithful recreation. Check out some old threads on this Santee Cal. address and phone number.

Guest JAMIE T

I was in the market for a GTO replica kit about a year ago. I did some serious research on the subject. I think the Thunder Ranch is the best looking. I really don't like the rearend of the VeloRossa. I think the Stable kit has too large rear quarter panels. The wheels just can't fill the wheel wells. The hood is in a better location on the ThunderRanch also. I emailed Tom Mcburnie anout his kit and asked for some referances. He emailed me back and gave me the number of a guy in AZ that has built his kits. The guy builds kit cars and restores Ferrari's and stuff. The guy raved about the fit and said he highly recommended the ThunderRanch kit. I called ThunderRanch and got sent a price list and brochure. It wasn't a flashy color brochure, just a copy of what is on the website. The price list is not on the website though. He can pretty much get all of the detail parts also, like the headlight covers and lights. If I ever get around to building a GTO replica, I will use the ThunderRanch kit. But, for now, I will just keep working on my Extreme Z, and keeping my driver running(it is a 30 year old Zcar.)

BTW, the comment made on kitcar.com was from 1999. McBurnie is a kitcar pioneer. I believe he improved the Rhino kit and when he got sued by Enzo, he sold the molds. They are the Stable molds now. I guess he made new molds or had his stored away until the heat settled down. He will not sell a turn key 250GTO, I think that was part of the deal when he was sued. All this Ferrari talk makes me want to build my own. Later

Guest Anonymous

I really don't see what Enzo is worried about, suing people for kit car replica's. I guess its a copyright infringement, but geez, is the hand full of ferrari replica's cutting into his business? I rather doubt it, I guess he just does'nt want any having a ferrari experience without writing out a check for half a mill... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Jamie T. Maybe a little more GTO research is in order. Go to the current post" Acquired yet another Z " by Nezzie 76 in the Announcement Forum and click on his Vello Rossa photos of the "McBurnie front clip" and the wide fender to door gap. This is caused by poor workmanship and one sorry excuse for a mold. The mold was warped from overuse that produced this front end.I have actaually seen this clip. The service is lousey from Thunder Ranch.(McBurnt Out Ranch)

This was the post I was referring to: Consumer Alert

Like Jamie pointed out, it is from 1998. I have no personal experience with Thunder Ranch other than calling to get pricing and ask if an install manual was available for purchase. The person I spoke to was less than friendly and helpful. I wasn't impressed. Could have just been a bad day...

Anyway, the Velo Rossa kit is still available for a short time. Harley Lever at VR Engineering emailed me a few days ago. He said that if you can have the kit paid in full by July 19th then you can still get one. After the 19th we'll have to wait for the new owner(whoever that may be) to make them available. I plan on ordering a Velo Rossa kit this week. 2thumbs.gif

Guest JAMIE T

I think someone else pointed out that if the same manufacturers parts had been used, there MAY have not been the problem with the door gap. I know that VR has the best fit and finish of the bunch, I just don't care much for the rear treatment. I've done a fair amount of 'glass work, so I know how hard it is to get good quality stuff. It is very likely that the molds Mcburnie has are worn out. I wouldn't know unless I saw them myself. I still think McBurnie's car has the best shape of them all.