HybridZ

Seat Rebuilding Pics

Atozone Tonine

Here is how I refinished my seats:

I stripped the paint off the frames, used the POR marine cleaner, then used the POR metal etcher, then painted with POR-15

post-29918-0-66441200-1380676094_thumb.jpg

I used metal wire to tie the seat springs back together

I used thin carpet squares on top of the seat springs to protect the foam

post-29918-0-09368200-1380676029_thumb.jpg

I recovered the lower parts, clamping the inner wire with hog rings to the frame underneath. Tip: heat up the covers in the sun first

post-29918-0-68014500-1380676044_thumb.jpg

I made new wires to hold the upper portion to the seat back, and fastened with hog rings. I placed a plastic bag on top to make fitting the cover easier.

post-29918-0-26650500-1380676059_thumb.jpg

I pulled the vinyl covers onto the top. I got these covers from Ebay for $200 and was very happy with the quality. I requested this design, with the vent grommets eliminated and orange stitching.

I cut out new rubber guards.post-29918-0-81106700-1380676115_thumb.jpg

I repainted and greased the mechanisms, then reattached them to the seats. Tip: use an impact driver, not a regular screw gun, or drill.

post-29918-0-78743200-1380676132_thumb.jpg

Elapsed time: 1 weekend.

So after all that, I installed them to discover that with the new seat foam, the seats are too high, and I preferred my old seats. haha. At least they look good.

post-29918-0-20540900-1380675993_thumb.jpg

post-29918-0-57060700-1380677346_thumb.jpg

Look great ! eBay covers ? I bought a set from eBay , they look very similar to yours , just need to find the time to do them . Did you get new foam ? Well done . :2thumbs:

I need to read the entire thread before asking , my bad .

Edited by Domzs

Look great ! eBay covers ? I bought a set from eBay , they look very similar to yours

I order from the company on eBay that does the leather or vinyl ones and you can get embroidered headrests, or other custom things.

The seller was listed as American, but they were apparently shipped from Pakistan. It only took about 2 weeks and the quality is excellent... Very heavy duty stitching.

Edited by Atozone Tonine

I order from the company on eBay that does the leather or vinyl ones and you can get embroidered headrests, or other custom things.

The seller was listed as American, but they were apparently shipped from Pakistan. It only took about 2 weeks and the quality is excellent... Very heavy duty stitching.

Same here . Got mine with red stitching  and  " 280z "  embroidered on the headrests . Haven't installed them yet . Doing bodywork at this time .

The motorsport seat foam didnt work too well for me and I gave up. Took it to an upholster to get it put together.. Probably the same Ebay guy that ships out of the UK? Mine was leather skins with embroidery and white stitch.

Looks great. I think you have to make some changes to the foam for a 280z.

Its a tough job, and at the time, I was thinking that a few hundred dollars is well worth it to have an experienced pro do it.