HybridZ

5 Speed into a 240Z

Norman V

Hey Guys. I've searched and read many pages now and I think I've confused myself and I'd like to ask you guys a question. I know that all the 4 speeds and 5 speeds till 83 are the same boxes except for the t5s. I just want to know if I can install a 280z 5 speed into my early build 71 240z with stock mounts, drive shaft, and shifter. And will I have to cut out the shifter hole to clear the shifter and modify the console at all? Will my stock 240z shifter hit the radio as I think I've read somewhere? 

Also I am in Miami and if anyone has a 5 speed for sale near to me I would be interested in purchasing. 

Thanks in advance guys.

you will need the 5 Speed shifter. I modified my shifter by cutting a bit at the bends in the shifter and mad a smaller angle at each bend and had them welded so I could still use the rubber boot from the 240z. Otherwise it might tear it up or pop it out of 2nd and forth if your hand is not on the shifter. Otherwise same D/S and mounts should work.

Edited by Daphur280

I"m really not sure since I haven't tried this yet, but if you use a 240sx 5speed you might not have to cut the trans tunnel. As far as I know it's a little bit longer than the 280Z 5 speed which should put it about where the stock shifter came out. It's a bit more work to swap it in though, but nothing too difficult.

Edited by rturbo 930

If you end up cutting the hole in the trans tunnel larger to accommodate the shifter throw, use the later style inner rubber boot which attached to the tunnel with a metal frame.  If you don't modify the stock shift lever, you will hit the console slightly - a little trimming works just fine and is covered by the outer leather/vinyl shift boot.  Never had a problem with it hitting the radio on my '71.  Not a big deal and a drop in swap.

Dennis