HybridZ

l28 NA recommendations

s14kouki10

So I had my engine built by datsun spirit. To keep it simple its just a high compression with a 274 cam. At first I was hoping to keep the the stock efi but now I want to upgrade. I'm thinking of either getting triples but I'm leaning on staying with efi. I'm a complete noob with ems, tried searching for what exactly what I need but can't find anything. I really just want to keep it as simple and easy as possible.

- What exactly do I need to upgrade to lets say megasquirt, ecu, harness.. sensors?

-Can I keep the stock dizzy and fuel injectors

I just want to get the most out the engine but keep it reliable and simple. Any advice you guys can give me.

So far the parts that I have acquired are n42 intake, pallnet fuel rail, stock injectors, stock 280z dizzy, 9lb flywheel, exedy stage 2 clutch. 6-1 header and of course sock ecu, harness.. thats about it engine performance wise..

So I had my engine built by datsun spirit. To keep it simple its just a high compression with a 274 cam. At first I was hoping to keep the the stock efi but now I want to upgrade. I'm thinking of either getting triples but I'm leaning on staying with efi. I'm a complete noob with ems, tried searching for what exactly what I need but can't find anything. I really just want to keep it as simple and easy as possible.

- What exactly do I need to upgrade to lets say megasquirt, ecu, harness.. sensors?

The Megasquirt unit itself is an ECU.  You can either make your own harness(es) for it or buy them premade from a vendor such as DIYautotune.  I would personally recommend the latter unless you have a lot of spare time and/or you are a masochist.  You'll need an intake air temp sensor and a throttle position sensor at minimum to get your car up and running with MS.  A lot more sensors are available if you're interested in fleshing out the setup.

-Can I keep the stock dizzy and fuel injectors

Yes.  Or you can go to completely different injectors and coil-on-plug.  Megasquirt is very flexible.

Have you ran the engine much since the rebuild?  What was the turn around time?  I'll be in the market for a rebuild soonish and I want to use a reputable person.  I thought Datsun Spirit was out of the equation but I recently learned that I'll be moving a lot closer to his shop in the near future so it's something I would definitely consider.  The feedback I've seen thus far for his work has been positive.

Have you asked Eiji for some advice?  If he built the engine, then I'm sure he would be willing to give you a couple of opinions on varying directions you could go to get the most out of it.  

Personally, though I know EFI/Megasquirt would be more precise...theres something awesomely nostalgic about a straight six with triples.  They really arent as troublesome as some say, and they are absolutely intoxicating.

The Megasquirt unit itself is an ECU.  You can either make your own harness(es) for it or buy them premade from a vendor such as DIYautotune.  I would personally recommend the latter unless you have a lot of spare time and/or you are a masochist.  You'll need an intake air temp sensor and a throttle position sensor at minimum to get your car up and running with MS.  A lot more sensors are available if you're interested in fleshing out the setup.

Yes.  Or you can go to completely different injectors and coil-on-plug.  Megasquirt is very flexible.

Have you ran the engine much since the rebuild?  What was the turn around time?  I'll be in the market for a rebuild soonish and I want to use a reputable person.  I thought Datsun Spirit was out of the equation but I recently learned that I'll be moving a lot closer to his shop in the near future so it's something I would definitely consider.  The feedback I've seen thus far for his work has been positive.

So minimum to get my car running good sensor wise is just air temp sensor and throttle position sensor 

I haven't ran the engine at all. Its been in my garage for a couple of months now, ran into other problems before I got to the engine. Turn around was 3 months, and his work is awesome.

-Would you guys say that there would be a significant gain in running a coil on plug and getting rid of the dizzy?

Have you asked Eiji for some advice?  If he built the engine, then I'm sure he would be willing to give you a couple of opinions on varying directions you could go to get the most out of it.  

Personally, though I know EFI/Megasquirt would be more precise...theres something awesomely nostalgic about a straight six with triples.  They really arent as troublesome as some say, and they are absolutely intoxicating.

I would be contacting him, just want to be more knowledgable on ems. 
And fumes are the big main thing that pulls me away from triples.. Had fumes with my old stock motor/efi set up and its really annoying.. to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I converted my stock 77 280z to megasquirt. I used a 240sx tps bolted to the stock sensor's base plate. I bought a second coolant temp sensor for my air temp sensor. I used that same sensor to calibrate the coolant temp sensor. You need shielded wire for your vr sensor input from the distributor. I used a pwm idle valve from a focus. And a bpsx wideband kit. Which is the cheapest wideband with a gauge I've found. Two sites to look at. Www.Megamanual.com and diyautotune.com. and there is a thread here on hybridz.org on an install of MS2 on a 280z using the stock wiring harness. It's there. Search for it. Gavin has tunes. Good luck.

What is really nice about e85 is if you go with it all the time and raise your compression appropriately.  I ran my talon at just about 13:1 compression and 14psi boost for a couple years on e85 and it was a blast to drive as a daily.  Unless you are going to take advantage of the higher octane rating I wouldn't bother with e85.  

It works very well for boost applications.  I have run some high advance and high cylinder pressures without detonation.  There are other problems with it like gunk in the fuel system that has to be cleaned once in a while and oil contamination.  And hard to start in the cold.  I was using it in my daily driver so I needed it to start on zero degree days.  It did, but I had to tune a lot on cold start settings.

That and I hear e85 acts like race gas under boost and that it's damn near impossible to make it knock. Is that true Moby?

I'd say the first one is not true: We've found that, if you tune for both, E85 makes about 30% more power than race gas. This assumes your fuel system is big enough to handle the additional volume.

Edited by Matt Cramer