HybridZ

Gauging interest in M30/z32 ecu standalone harness or.......

HowlerMonkey

........trying to make one plug and play or easily grafted into specific vehicle harnesses.

For S130, would there be interest in M30 ecu incorporated into a n/a harness or one that is already turbo or would people prefer it standalone?

Is there interest in Z31 with M30 ecu?

Would people prefer Z32 style harnessing with the extra effort into getting crank reference without modifying an already expensive 82/83 280zx turbo distributor but rather using a modified cam angle sensor from later cars?

Just gathering some ideas

Funny that you should mention the Z31, there is no significant demand for what you are offering in AU (Nistune?) but any tuning ability that can be added internally to the stock ECU could have the occasional taker. Just thinking out loud.

........trying to make one plug and play or easily grafted into specific vehicle harnesses.

For S130, would there be interest in M30 ecu incorporated into a n/a harness or one that is already turbo or would people prefer it standalone?

Is there interest in Z31 with M30 ecu?

Would people prefer Z32 style harnessing with the extra effort into getting crank reference without modifying an already expensive 82/83 280zx turbo distributor but rather using a modified cam angle sensor from later cars?

Just gathering some ideas

Definitely have an interest in a plug and play M30 set-up for the z31...can you share some details?

The goal would be to make it as painless as possible for someone to install.

That said, any replacement of the Z31 harness causes much pain.

Obviously the injection harnessing will be different since Z31 is batch fired but I would like it to be a simple replacement  or integration of the M30 stuff into the z31 computer harnessing and leaving the rest of the car as unmolested as possible.

Addressing z31 automatic transmission operation with this setup would also be an issue if the car is equipped with the 1985 or later E4n71b.

Much of the systems the M30 ecu controls are done the same way as in the Z31 so grafting in the M30 stuff into a Z31 harness would net the least amount of non-stock looking wiring but it is possible that some would want a way to wire it such that much of the harnessing is as hidden as possible.

280zx would be the next least complicated install with the S30 cars more than likely needing a stand alone option because of the age of the wiring.................or a whole new main harness which seems prohibitively expensive since you would need to address power source strength/fusebox upgrades when making one.

I'm sure I can make a standalone version for S30 but it get's tricky with tach functionality, fuel pump power, and getting vehicle speed data to the ecu.

I guess what I should do is make one for the Z31 and maybe another for a S130 as an exercise and see how much of my life it saps from me to determine any sort of pricing.

The goal is an entire package you can hook up to your VG30et or L28et (doesn't have to be turbo) that is guaranteed to run a stock VG30et or L28et right out of the box and would allow you to use consult as a window into your ECU's soul and easily allow adding nistune with different injector/MAF options.

This would include egr operation and idle control which may help in states with emissions inspection.

I have confirmed that the M30 setup will run the 259cc stock low impedence 280zx and z31 turbo injectors with a stock Nissan dropping resistor without tuning astonishingly well but it is likely rich during warm-up and in open loop high speed operation until you run into boost.

I've run a l28et this way for 50,000 miles untuned and am experimenting with the next evolution which is the coil on plug stuff from Z32 in my car as some guys here are already running.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

This may be an entirely ignorant question for the guys that know the M30 ECU work - but do you mean the M30 ECU used in the 1989-1992 Nissan Infiniti M car, or the very popular M30 ECU used by BMW?  I could see both being used, with work.

If it's the 89-92 Infiniti M, why not go with something lie the 90-95 Pathfinder instead, or mid-90's Maxima.  There are many, many more Pathfinders out there than Infiniti M's. 

Just asking for clarity, for me and others.  I've been looking at the Pathfinder setup for a while, partly because I have one, and the wrecking yards are packed with them.

Yes, the M30 in bmw terms is the 3 liter inline six but there is no relationship other than "m30" and no parts interchange.

Early to mid 90s vg30e maxima is the same setup as the M30 except you don't get a consult port.......you get a check connector and there may be differences in throttle position sensor as well.

Pathfinder is similar as well and a quick search will net you multiple threads in which people are seeking to replace their pathfinder or maxima ecu with one from a m30.

I've done a lot of research into the OBDII pathfinder and quest ecus  and I found little support for tuning them as they are a different ecu family.

I'm trying not to go down a blind alley but rather one with multiple doors since the pinout of the maxima/z32/m30/j30 use the same ecu connector and many of them have very similar pinouts even when comparing multiple coil outputs with a single coil output.

They all are also nistunable other than the J30 which has two prom chips and requires a bit more working and you often need two romulators to tune them.

If nistune is  not available for the maxima and pathfinder versions of that ecu family,  you might be able to tune your car on a M30 setup and dump your finalized "perfect tune" into a rom editor and then paste them into the rom of a maxima where you would then burn it to prom and run the maxima ecu with the values you got from the nistuned m30 ecu.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Bernardd's post kind of illustrates the dilemma of interest vs. availability.  Many might be interested in using an RB26 or M30 ECU but how many will be able to get one, within their price range.  Maybe the Z32 is the way to go.

You might generate some interest by spelling out the benefits, even before getting in to Nistune.  Sequential injection at idle is smoother, fuel cut based on speed for low/no gas smell when coasting, MAF-based for better fuel regulation over a broader air flow range.  Stuff like that.  The AFM-based Z and ZX systems are so primitive that even without re-tuning the 1990's systems might run cleaner on a stock or modified L6.  That's been my thinking.  But that's probably what people doing the Z31 swap thought also when they started.

It would nice to have an intermediate choice between the Z31 swap and Megasquirt.  Interesting topic.