HybridZ

Hardware/Fastner thread

I am looking to replace the hardware and fastners when I start putting my car back together. I did some searching and could not find any threads specficily about this so I thought I would start one. I am looking to see if anyone has done the same and knows where to get the hardware for these cars from a more local option like fastnal or someone like that. Part numbers, what to order, etc. I am not looking to replace it with factory bolts, just want new. Any ideas? If not, when I do come up with numbers and what not, I will post up. 

Thanks, that is the stuff I am looking for. I will be taking a hand full of body bolts in today to fastenal and seeing what I can accomplish. I am in need of door, hatch, fender and body bolts as I am just about to start putting everything back together after an almost full resto. 

I have ordered from Fastenal in the past sometimes it is hard to get the correct style and lengths. Also they don't always have the JIS specs (smaller wrench diameter for heads and nuts). They do have the yellow zinc sometimes it looks close other times the washers especially locking type are not very yellow.

After comparing some of the prices for new it is often cheaper to buy bolts directly from Nissan if you can find the part numbers. Here is a good reference online for looking up part numbers for the 240z:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/tabid/1543/Default.aspx

Are you looking to replace the bolts with OEM bolts/washers/nuts? Is there any reason why you do not want to use stainless steel hardware for all of this. There are only a handful of bolts/nuts that cannot be SS (head studs, exhaust manifold hardware, probably suspension) pretty much anything else on the body of the car can be replaced with SS which will stay nice and shiny forever. SS bolts will be superior in every possible way to the original bolts.

If you do not absolutely need the OEM hardware, boxes of SS M6 body bolts can usually be had for less than 10$ for 50 or 100 depending on length. McMaster-Carr stocks 18-8 SS M6 12mm-16mm lengths for 6$-7$ per box of 50. Washers for those bolts are under 5$ for a box of 100. So, for 18$ + shipping, you can replace pretty much every single bolt and washer on the body with high grade SS.

McMaster is pretty well known for being more expensive than others. But, their delivery speed, reliability, quality, and accuracy of orders makes it worth it for me. I can usually get orders in 1-2 days but if you know what you need before hand, you could save alot of $ by ordering it all bulk ahead of time.

I think there is a fella on Ebay who sells a big pack of SS hardware for S30s. It does not cover everything, but there are a few hundred bolts in the kit. Here is a link to the ebay store page. It isnt everything, looks like all the stuff you need for the engine. 268 pieces in total.

I actually ended up buying a huge pack of 20mm M6 bolts, then I just cut them down when I need a shorter one.

Edited by ISPKI