HybridZ

How to Connect Steering Wheel Buttons

Atozone Tonine

I have mounted 2 buttons on my steering wheel and am not sure the best way to connect with wire.

I am thinking about using a coiled cable, as I have seen before, but I would prefer to use a 'spring clock', which is how most cars connect electrical to the steering wheel in a discrete way.

I am worried that a coiled cable could get caught up on the steering column when I turn the wheel all the way to one side.

The steering rack on a 72 240z should be 2.6 turns lock to lock, which mean a coiled cable would have to wrap 1.3 times around the steering column.

What do you think?

Edited by Atozone Tonine

This is what I had to do on an old British car once. There was no adapter kit made for it for the wheel I had. I went to oreillys and opened up all the grant adapter boxes until I found the one that looked like it was the closest to fit my wheel. I only was able to use the half that goes onto the steering wheel with the spring part that usually goes onto the clock spring. I had a piece of plastic conduit that happened to slide over my steering tube very tightly. I actually had to tap it on with a hammer. I got a big washer and drilled it out so the steering rod would fit through it without touching it. I put a screw through it where the conductor spring didn't slide around it so it wouldn't interfere. I connected the wire going into the car on the backside of that with a connector. Sort of a home made clock spring. That was for only 1 button though. You will just need to be creative.

post-37191-0-42750000-1382105805_thumb.jpg

This is what I had to do on an old British car once. There was no adapter kit made for it for the wheel I had. I went to oreillys and opened up all the grant adapter boxes until I found the one that looked like it was the closest to fit my wheel. I only was able to use the half that goes onto the steering wheel with the spring part that usually goes onto the clock spring. I had a piece of plastic conduit that happened to slide over my steering tube very tightly. I actually had to tap it on with a hammer. I got a big washer and drilled it out so the steering rod would fit through it without touching it. I put a screw through it where the conductor spring didn't slide around it so it wouldn't interfere. I connected the wire going into the car on the backside of that with a connector. Sort of a home made clock spring. That was for only 1 button though. You will just need to be creative.

Nice work. I wish someone made a generic clock spring with several wires, that would fit a momo. I will probably have to use the coiled cable.

I have a coiled cable connecting mine, buttons on the steering wheel for the 2-step.  Havent had any issues, though the car isnt tracked, just driven on the street.

good to know.what kind of coiled cable did you use? I was going to use a 16ga 6 wire 'SO' grade, but am concerned it might be too heavy.

Edited by Atozone Tonine

good to know.what kind of coiled cable did you use? I was going to use a 16ga 6 wire 'SO' grade, but am concerned it might be too heavy.

For the two step, its just a ground switch so I used a 18ga 2 wire from McMaster.  I was able to run it through the clam shell to keep it tucked away and out of sight. No binding anywhere and no extra tension on the connections when i check lock-to-lock.