HybridZ

Roll cage assistance

jeg60driver

I am looking for cage ideas for my 77 280 build and conversion.  I am looking to do a street/strip build and try to keep the original dash (with slight modification of course) and doors with the car.    

Has anyone been able to put a legal cage together that allowed them to keep the original dash and doors?   I have looked at several threads and have a lot of ideas but I want to do it right and safe at the same time, as well as leaving room for additions later as the racing bug gets me addicted.

The other issue is that I am 6'4" and will need leg room so the farther back the horizontal bar on the main hoop the better.

Thanks in advance for the ideas and pics.

Take a close look at 74_5.0L_Z's album. He has a tube front end, but you could do something pretty similar in the back and then either do a knee bar up front for the door bars to connect to or a dash bar, and then mod the dash to go back in over it. 

I think Dan's setup is the best I've seen for a street car. It's almost a full cage, but no halo to smack your head on.

• Like 1

Being 6'4" you will run into a few issues.  I'm 6'4 as well.

Attaching the main hoop to the floor just in front of the wheel arch will drastically reduce the amount you can lean/slide the seat back.  On my 240 with old recaros I actually dented in the wheel arch a tad just so I'd be able to get a couple more degrees of lean/headroom.

The halo will be very close to your head, I think even if you cut out the stock mounts and put the seat on the floor (you should re-enforce it) you will still run into your skull and the halo being too close.

I wanted a cage in my car as well, but after doing the research I think I might do a six point roll bar and work on stiffening up the structure.  If I was 5'7" it would be a much different story.

Edited by tyson