HybridZ

Beaniam's 77 turbo Z project

I had a 76 280z as my first car back in 1999.  Sadly I was rear ended and rust had gotten the best of that car so I ended up selling it around 2006.  Fast forward to 2013 and I'm back in another 280z.  This one is a turbo swap with an r33 turbo, intercooler, megasquirt, 440cc injectors, palnet fuel rail, walbro fuel pump. 

It was mostly together when I got it but it ran fairly bad.  I've been sorting things out, repairing rust, tuning and more in the past couple months since I picked it up.

The day I picked it up

tow.jpg

Bad dog frame rail going in

rail.jpg

Floor pan section going in

IMG_20131014_182123.jpg

Firewall section patched

IMG_20131015_195516.jpg

Inner fender/battery area patched

IMG_20131016_175826.jpg

One of the body patches in progress.

fender.jpg

So far aside from the rust repair I've done KYB struts, eibach lowering springs, 240z rear strut isolators, msa front and rear sway bars, msa front and rear strut tower braces, fiberglass 240z front bumper. 

How it looks so far

77.jpg

Since this picture the rear sits about 2" lower with the 240z strut isolators and cut down spacers.  When I first put the eibach springs on I was pretty disappointed that the rear sat at practically stock height with the front sitting about 2" lower.  All is good now though.

With it running pretty good now I've discovered the clutch is next on the list of to do's.  Not sure which to go with, I'll have to do some research. 

The car is making 15psi right now and when you get on it the clutch lets go in second through 5th.  When that's done, my temporary pieced together exhaust will be going full 3" with a glass pack.

Took it for a cruise today. Still have to clean up some of the engine wiring, new rad, fans, throttle body.  Valve cover needs cleaning and a coat of high temp paint.  Haven't decided if I'm keeping the catch can yet.  I'll probably pull it off to see if it makes much of a mess without it.  I rarely drive it hard so I think I could get away with some clamped on filters.  All it seems to collect is condensation from in its own hoses.  My wiring needs to be trimmed and loomed from where I moved the relay board to the kick panel as well.  I'm running out of warm days to get a good even coat of primer on the car so it will probably stay patchy until next spring.

IMG_20131103_130638.jpg

IMG_20131103_130438.jpg

IMG_20131103_130223.jpg

IMG_20131103_130235.jpg

IMG_20131103_130424.jpg

IMG_20131103_130409.jpg

IMG_20131103_130330.jpg

IMG_20131103_130341.jpg

IMG_20131103_130507.jpg

Thanks, getting there.  Not sure what my plans are for the turbo.  I haven't read much good about the rb26 turbos with ceramic wheels.  I've heard anything from it's great and will last forever if kept under 14psi and fed clean oil and coolant to pull it out asap before it dies. 

Romped on it pretty good today since I've broken in the new clutch.  Just registered Tunerstudio to run the analyze live on it to try and get the afr right with the new 240sx throttle body.  I'll mess with it tomorrow.

Got some new pictures of my ugly paint.

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Weather was finally cold enough to drive it out of my shop through the slushy muddy parking lot without sinking. Since the last time I posted I did an HBC cable adjusted in cabin boost controller, a 2 chamber race muffler, an electric exhaust cutout, a head gasket, rear wheel cylinder and some other small stuff. Just realized as I pulled into my driveway I forgot to put the 10mm timing cover to head bolts back in. Oh well who needs them anyway, lol.

playing with the exhaust cutout.

Picked up a spare r200 rear end and "installed" a "locker". Should make things a bit more fun.

When the weather gets nicer I'll drive it back over to my shop and get it swapped in.

IMG_20140114_150621.jpg

IMG_20140114_151338.jpg

IMG_20140114_154355.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...