HybridZ

280z 5.3 Turbo Build

Well I figured I would let my HBZ friends know first.

Parts List!

Engine

2005 Iron 5.3L

-Ebay head studs

-LS9 Gaskets

-Stock or ARP rod bolts

-Stock 706 Heads

-Brian Tooley springs, Ti Retainers

-Chromemoly Pushrods

-LS2 Timing chain

-Luck!

Spinny things / Boost

Turbonetics 7875 Turbo - .96 AR

Precision 46mm Wastegate

Ebay 50mm BOV

Flipped Truck manifolds - V banded w/ 2.25" crossover

MAYBE a 4" Downpipe.... we'll see how greedy I get.

AEM Tru-Boost controller

4" big boy intercooler

- charge pipes undecided

Fueling 

E85!!!

2x Walbro 255 External Pumps

-8 Feed

Magnafuel 1:1 Boost referenced regulator

-6 Return

Edelbrock fuel rails

71# injectors - might step up, we'll see

Thats a start anyway!

Edited by SUNNY Z

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man everyone is going turbo.

Well I'll give you a little insight;

I'll have less than $1000 new money invested into this thing when I'm done, after selling all the old parts.  This will by no means be a bare bones build, either.

Why NOT make more power than I did on nitrous, and do it all the time?

Nice ! Glad you joined us LS turbo guys ! With your rear end /axle setup you should have no problems with that whp target and more ! 

I'm setting my goals low.  Promise low, deliver high. Thats good business!

Nice... what are you doing with your headers? Or are you going remote mounted turbo?

They will be going on the wall of my garage for the time being. Don't want to cut them loose just yet. I'd love to have an N/A car again at some point.

Welcome the to boosted lsx club. I look forward to seeing it evolve.

Well it will be a learning experience for me, as I've never personally built anything boosted. 

Turbo cars are hard to beat..  I've seen the you tube videos you haven't posted here. Those cars you run with make some serious power. It will be nice to see how you hold up against those 800-1000 rwhp T/A's and Mustangs. Twins or big single?

I will be going with a single. Hardly big, but it will be a 7875 turbonetics ball bearing unit.

I will be going with a single. Hardly big, but it will be a 7875 turbonetics ball bearing unit.

That's a great turbo. Im in the middle of a street driven twin T61 master power build right now. Ill be posting up my build around January. Good luck on your build ill be dropping by to see progress.

First post updated with tentative parts list.

Started makin moves tonight!

Using the ol hose clamp trick to get a straight cut.

IMG_20131029_202236_648_zps0d794ca9.jpg

Passenger's side. Non-egr pass. truck mani flipped and chopped.

IMG_20131029_204005_120_zpscd53532e.jpg

Front view. Might take a little more off to straighten it out some more. Threw in a piece of 4" as reference for downpipe. The perfect spot for this would be right where the JCI motor mount is.... That would take it out of the path of my heater hoses.

IMG_20131029_204020_415_zpsdbf1a696.jpg

Driver's side. Pass. truck mani flipped and chopped.

IMG_20131029_204043_531_zps971c98a8.jpg

Ebay studs? Yikes! I know people have good luck with them but that's one department I'll never skimp on.

Yeah, I'm a little un-sure on that as of now. But I know about a dozen cars locally that have used them from 20-28 psi, without a single issue. Kinda like everyone being all gung-ho about replacing rod bolts to spin high RPM. I never bought it, and after talking with several knowledgeable individuals, I spun my STOCK BOTTOM ls1 to 7,000 rpm every time I drove it, and it loved every minute of it for the last 20K miles (still runs fine!). .....And then theres all those 8 second cars with stock bottom everything...... I'm just not looking to throw money where I don't have to.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Yeah, I'm a little un-sure on that as of now. But I know about a dozen cars locally that have used them from 20-28 psi, without a single issue. Kinda like everyone being all gung-ho about replacing rod bolts to spin high RPM. I never bought it, and after talking with several knowledgeable individuals, I spun my STOCK BOTTOM ls1 to 7,000 rpm every time I drove it, and it loved every minute of it for the last 20K miles (still runs fine!). .....And then theres all those 8 second cars with stock bottom everything...... I'm just not looking to throw money where I don't have to.

What brand are you going with?

Looks like we are doing the same manifolds. I'm running a 4 in the same place too. I'm not using heater lines though or a traditional water pump for that mater either. I cut the passenger flange to face more forward. Use the vband with the clamp on to get it into position and to mark your cut.

Front view. Might take a little more off to straighten it out some more. Threw in a piece of 4" as reference for downpipe. The perfect spot for this would be right where the JCI motor mount is.... That would take it out of the path of my heater hoses.

IMG_20131029_204020_415_zpsdbf1a696.jpg

You can take the barbs out and tap it 3/8 and 1/2 npt and run a plug