HybridZ

280z 5.3 Turbo Build

I'm going with a Aeromotive A1000 and a Corvette filter/return. It'll support up to 1000hp FI !

How are you going to boost reference the Vette FPR.....?

Don't think it'll flow nearly enough fuel for that kind of power either.

Also, I would do some research on the A1000. I have several friends with one or more burned up A1000's on the shelf.  Magnafuel seems to be the choice in my circle for external pumps, but I'm sure many have success with the Aeromotive units.

I'm starting to wish I'd gone with something else. 3x the pumps = 3x the fittings = 5x the cost!!!!!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do the three pumps offer any additional safety? If one quits, will two do the job? Can you put a warning light on each one somehow? I guess I'm thinking NO2 worries. Maybe getting myself confused.

I ran one pump on the last setup. This will run two all the time, and the third will come on once its in boost.  I like this setup, because if a pump lays down on you, yes you can just turn down the boost and limp home.  Two pumps are good to about 700 RWHP IIRC. Maybe less with E85, I don't remember

Worked on the heater hose plumbing last night.

Here are the bulkheads I made. -10 Steel bung welded to a 3/8" npt bung. Inside the firewall will be a 90* elbow to a standard heater hose connection.

IMG_20140325_214836_672_zpsa09nfysh.jpg

Lots of work, but it'll be worth it in the finished product, and ease of access to heater hoses, as they were behind the pass. head before, and a real PITA to get to.

This is when your frame rails is going to pay dividends. That, and as a framework for the SRA 4-link system I see coming next winter when you explode a CV with all that turbo power!

Don't say that, Keith! This car will have to sit for a LONG time if something like that breaks.

Worked on the heater hose plumbing last night.

Here are the bulkheads I made. -10 Steel bung welded to a 3/8" npt bung. Inside the firewall will be a 90* elbow to a standard heater hose connection.

IMG_20140325_214836_672_zpsa09nfysh.jpg

Lots of work, but it'll be worth it in the finished product, and ease of access to heater hoses, as they were behind the pass. head before, and a real PITA to get to.

Looks good, you beat me to it. I'm having the same thing done to my heater lines and A/C lines. I wish I could do it myself like you did but I just don't have that skill set.

Finished crossmember.

IMG_20140328_181531_015_zpskx5qcnqo.jpg

Finished exhaust

IMG_20140328_203113_251_zpsxae9xkkm.jpg

All the fuel system stuff should be here tomorrow, so I'll start assembling that.  Working on getting all the brake lines out of the engine bay and tucked away, and then I should be able to finish the inner fenders and engine bay. 

Got this bad boy on last night. Turned out OK if you take into account I was using the edge of my bench top and a hammer to bend it! haha

IMG_20140331_181742_774_zpsgltf1nrl.jpg

Didn't weld on as pretty as I'd like - Kinda got in a hurry. It'll clean up and do the job though! Its amazingly more rigid than the pass. side.

IMG_20140331_184528_840_zpstsjqu5m2.jpg

Ive been told (2) 255's are good for much more than 700whp. Can you confirm or deny this? Im curious as Im building my setup with two and have estimated HP goals in the 8-900 range. Also ive been told that they do not hold up to E85 very well (per walboro)

Ive been told (2) 255's are good for much more than 700whp. Can you confirm or deny this? Im curious as Im building my setup with two and have estimated HP goals in the 8-900 range. Also ive been told that they do not hold up to E85 very well (per walboro)

I'm going off real-world experience. Several of my personal friends have run out of pump (with twins) in the 750WHP range on E85. You have to take into account the additional volume of fuel needed to produce this power, vs pump or race gas.  I don't want to have issues with it, and have planned my system to be overkill as such. No issues with E85 eating pumps to my knowlege. Usually heat kills them.

I'm sure you've done your research, so your setup should work just fine for you.

I have been researching this for quite sometime myself. I think I am just going to go this route 

http://www.holley.com/12-1800.asp. 

mediumDominator_In-linePump.jpg

From looking online there have been many cars in the 850-1000whp and 150 mph range with this pump set up on corn.

Price seem right and the options seem nice. And they are dead quiet.. Although your set up is bad ass sunny. And one thing I love about your setup is you can pick up walbro 255s almost anywhere if needed. Burn one up and swing in and pick up another.. But the savings on the AN fittings make this pump a great option! and it has the option to run one of a hobbs switch also. 

There is one guy using two with a surge tank making 2200hp on e85 LOL!! 

I hope its a wise choice for me... I was going to go Magnafuel but changed my mind 

Edited by geno51

Well you know, you don't HAVE to use AN fittings. I could have used a $6 distribution block from harbor freight and rubber hose. I just hate leaks, and prefer to do things the right way if I can afford it.

I'm sure the Holley pump will do you well.

Finished up my upper intercooler mount / beauty piece That a friend bent up.

IMG_20140405_195225_720_zpspqcygmx2.jpg

Brake line simplification:

Line lock, proportioning valve, and bulkhead fittings to get the lines out of the engine bay.

IMG_20140406_211611_972_zpsakndgeig.jpg

Another angle. Still a few lines to make, but I'm waiting on my new close radius bender to show up.

IMG_20140406_211646_550_zpsbxpgisyc.jpg