280z 5.3 Turbo Build

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whew. Labor intensive weekend.

PIcked up some Hushmat and started laying it on the firewall.  I'll be doing the whole car once the cage is in to minimize the amount of damage.  I then laid a layer of "be cool" insulation on top of this. Should really improve the feel and more importantly, the temperature inside the car.

IMG_20140613_231357_014_zps7z0qqbew.jpg

Next I went to town on the body harness. Pulling spare / dead wires and fixing shoddy work done by previous owners.

This is my pile of excess when I was about 3/4 of the way done.

IMG_20140615_183812_840_zpsruw5vwbm.jpg

Here I'm just checking the length of the harness, and adding wires for switches ( line lock, 2 step, etc.)

IMG_20140615_232851_124_zps417kjtik.jpg

That's all for tonight. Hoping to get the wiring wrapped up, the cooling system installed, and be driving it sometime this week.  Seems like my timeline just keeps getting pushed, but I keep finding things that need attention. In due time, I suppose.

Does anybody have the turbo mounted in back like Squires Turbo Systems does it?

Some people do. It takes a lot of system design, but it can work. The butt mount's just aren't typically as responsive.

Got the car to warm up to temp and verify all the wiring and fan is working correctly. Crazy how much the FG wrap smokes!

Blew a hole in my floor for the battery box. I'm using a Duralast 8AMU1R battery. Friend of mine made the box - Thanks Steve!

IMG_20140623_232704_277_zps1xaozx3q.jpg

IMG_20140623_232732_900_zpsjsfryesb.jpg

And from the bottom. There's plenty of clearance for everything, but the box still needs mounted and finished.

IMG_20140623_232814_648_zpsemvcdcls.jpg

Car is 99% done, hoping to drive it tomorrow.  

IMG_20140628_210707_996_zpsfthoqpfu.jpg

Here's a shot of the seats / harnesses installed. I ended up building a harness bar until the cage gets in.

IMG_20140629_014759_976_zpsnfsv76uv.jpg

IMG_20140629_014350_418_zpstotngthg.jpg

Under hood. No prop rod... yet.

IMG_20140629_014707_239_zpsoqdehrmy.jpg

IMG_20140629_014646_940_zpsu6vnpaxe.jpg

Thanks guys. I did drive it yesterday, about 60 miles.  Everything worked flawlessly, and the gate controlled boost right at 6#.  I have a strange sync issue I can't figure out, so my real-time logging wasn't working, and I didn't beat on it that much.

Looks great! Awesome to see everything coming together and I'm glad to hear you put 60 miles on the odometer. Maybe I missed it but I'm curious if you ended up opening up that ring gap? From everything that I've read opening up the top ring gap if vital to keeping them from butting once things get hot in there and inevitably blowing a land. 

Looks great! Awesome to see everything coming together and I'm glad to hear you put 60 miles on the odometer. Maybe I missed it but I'm curious if you ended up opening up that ring gap? From everything that I've read opening up the top ring gap if vital to keeping them from butting once things get hot in there and inevitably blowing a land. 

I did. I opened the top and bottom up to .028". IIRC the tops were pretty close at .024"

I haven't forgotten about you guys on the videos.  I can't find my suction cup mount, and the interior of the car is pretty loud right now with no sound deadener or insulation.  The videos are pretty poor quality.  I'll get some that you can actually hear the spool, and post those up after the holiday.

Everyone have a safe and fun FOJ!

I did. I opened the top and bottom up to .028". IIRC the tops were pretty close at .024"

Should be good to go then. Most people end up opening up the lower ring a bit more than the top but at the same time I know the some people only open up the top ring but you should be good either way. Cant wait to see some videos. And I'm curious how fast is she spooling up?