HybridZ

280z 5.3 Turbo Build

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't find yesterday's video (Day 4). Josey sent me a text and said track was in terrible shape and that he ran 10.30, I wanna say at 146. He's had two mechanical issues so far: a bad tire (borrowed from a buddy) and he slung a serpentine belt. Sounds pretty good to me-I might have that much trouble just on the way to work. I hope he posts lotsa video when he gets home.

He just went 9.76 @150

Yeah, left on 6# boost, 1.47 short time.  Sloshed the oil in the pan, (was about 1/2qt low) and cavitated the whole pass at 16psi. Killed a rod bearing I believe. Oh well, we made the week! New motor is lined up, and should be in within a week or so.

^^^

Did you not have the dominator monitoring the oil pressure? How did you make it the whole way down the track with little to no oil pressure?

Its an HP system. And yes, it monitors it, but there isnt a safety tied to it.

Easy.  Things will actually run for quite a while without any oil at all in them.

Edited by SUNNY Z

I asked my tuner (who drag races and landspeed races) how much oil to put in my f-body pan since every reference seems to have a different number. He said that for the typical street driven car hecrecommends 6 qts. But for a drag or autocross car he recommends 7 qts. And even though i measured my Lokar dipstick multiple times to be the same length as the stock F-body dipstick, after assembly, the two read differently. I'm running 7.

IIRC it was 5.5qts. Not enough... obviously.

All the pictures are on the website.

I would NOT trust an F body pan without upgraded baffling in it, regardless of the added oil.  Once you start to sustain hard acceleration, things change drastically.