HybridZ

rb25det transmission & 280zx tunnel

moodah

Hi guys,

Question regarding the above..

I've recently dropped a 30/26 into my s130 and im having issues with the transmission sitting in the tunnel.. The stock gearbox crossmember ears hit the transmission and its a very tight fit.

Im not sure how to align the gearbox correctly down the tunnel, since there is a little bit of horizontal play..

Should I be aiming to have the gearbox pointing to / as close to the diff as possible so there is minimal driveshaft/tailshaft angles on the joints?

Any input would be great..

I put "u-joint alignment " in the Google box and got a few good links.  This one seems really well-done, nice pictures and good explanations, with some important small details, like the fact that some u-joint movement is necessary for the health of the bearings.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/drivelinephasing/drivelinephasing.html

I put "u-joint alignment " in the Google box and got a few good links.  This one seems really well-done, nice pictures and good explanations, with some important small details, like the fact that some u-joint movement is necessary for the health of the bearings.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/drivelinephasing/drivelinephasing.html

Great link!  I bookmarked that one for future use (mine needs to be done correctly also).

Great info. Thanks for the link.

I am worried now, however, that I will need to cut one of the mounting ears off in the tunnel to let the gearbox sit in its natural position..

This is not good since there are two either side... I may have to weld another ear on?

I didnt really want to have to weld anything to the car body.... 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Interesting crossmember djz... Would a certifier allow that?

I gave the ear in my tunnel a slight chopping with a reciprocating saw and then a bit of a file, to end up with this.

2013-10-30+19.03.09.jpg

Structural integrity-related thoughts?

Edited by moodah

Interesting crossmember djz... Would a certifier allow that?

It's been certed here in NZ with no problems, I gusseted the two L brackets in the corners, it's bolted to the floor with 3 x 10mm bolts each side and 2 x 8mm bolts on each side of the flat piece the mount sits on. The L brackets are 50x5mm steel and there are 50x5 plates on the inside of the car too.