HybridZ

Is this wheel safe to use?

If you look at the bolt holes you can see a previous owner drilled them...well...IN toward the bore.  Plus the rear bore opening was also drilled out sloppy on 2 of the 4 wheels as you can see in the pics.  I have not a chance to measure but there is a 4x114.3 pattern in there as it test fit on my '78 280Z.

If I go ahead and use these as is, would I be taking a risk in safety or should I bring them to a welder to fill in the holes and redrill to the correct pattern?

samsungphone371_zps2758e1d9.jpg

samsungphone375_zps03b529a4.jpg

samsungphone372_zps5b407e8b.jpg

Edited by AdreView

If you use a washer and heavy shank lug nut system like you would use with a weld draglite, you'd probably be fine. Torque them with a torque wrench to 90# on a regular basis and let it rip. You should be able to feel it in your hands or butt if the tire is out of true to any significant degree.

No way in hell I'de use them as is.

Looks like scrap aluminum to me. Unless the wheels are very special to you, the cost to have a wheel refurbishing company fix that is WAY beyond the cost of new ones.

From a structural/safety perspective, why would you not attempt to use them?

If you use a washer and heavy shank lug nut system like you would use with a weld draglite, you'd probably be fine. Torque them with a torque wrench to 90# on a regular basis and let it rip. You should be able to feel it in your hands or butt if the tire is out of true to any significant degree.

This is what I was thinking the last owner did, shank lug system which would have to be used to secure it properly.  Many folks these days are redrilling customizing and modifying sizes of wheels to fit on all sorts of sized hubs, I'm thinking this wouldn't be mush different.

Since there is plenty of material on the wheel bore, I'm thinking of just having a welder close up the current twice drilled bolt holes and have a local machine shop redrill new ones at 4x114.3 just to be on the safe side.

Are you sure they are drilled? I have seen a few sets like that over the years, and I doubt anyone would be able to drill a hole that accurately that close to another hole at home. I think some wheels used to come like that.

I really have no history of the wheels and if they came this way or not.  I was thinking sort of the same thing, every drill cut I have ever made to elongate holes never turns out good, these wheels appear damn good for elongated holes.

They resemble a model of centerline, the only info molded into the wheels is: PRO WHEEL 14x7

I've searched for similar pictures of them and all I can find are these, which don't have an elongated bolt hole:

DSC01064_zpse6510e3c.jpg

DSC01063_zps6ce6ff58.jpg

As long as your lug nuts don't have any slop radially, they will naturally center.  If there is slop radially - side to side - then they won't work.  The slots aren't an issue because they only allow movement in one direction for any given opposed pair.  The perpendicular pair fix that movement, causing the wheel to center.