HybridZ

77 280Z Engine swap Ideas?

I bought a 1977 280Z off my neighbor for $400 garage kept for 20 years when he stopped driving it due to him becoming handicapped. Been driving it for a while, but I do want to do an engine swap on it. I hear alot about these LS1, LS2, LS6's being good also pretty easy being that holley makes kits for them. My friend told me to put an engine from a 90-95 300zx either single turbo, twin turbo, or non turbo. He also suggested a turbo 3000cc or an F20c. I guess what i'm asking is for the more senior car men to give me suggestions on what I will give me the most bang for my buck. Im open to all suggestions of other engines.

Edited by Defiaskilla

It depends a lot on how skilled you are and how much money you want to spend.  The thing you have to remember is that putting in more HP means you have to strengthen the car; then you'll want to upgrade the suspension; then you'll realize you need to upgrade the brakes.  I've been tweaking my car for over 20 years now. The first 5 I drove it pretty much stock but then the mods started..  I have about $40k in the car now and it's not worth anywhere near that because I've driven it hard for over 135k miles while doing it all.

Yea I was thinking about keeping it stock. It's not really pristine the entire interior was molded I got most of it cleaned and replaced and I figured while i'm replacing stuff why not take it all the way. The engines fast it's nice, but its tame I would like a little more bite from it. i'm not going to hack it up. I'm keeping the exterior all stock new paint though. I guess you could call it a sleeper in a way. I'm actually planning on beefing up the suspension and brakes and what not first I'm just trying to get ideas for an engine.

Edited by Defiaskilla

L28ET would definitely be the easiest swap out there. You could just turbo the motor thats already in there and get an aftermarket EMS. You'd be able to get 200-350hp safely and reliably on the stock bottom end. There is also a TON of info on every which way to do this swap on this site.

I'd recommend the Vq35de out of an 03'-05 350Z over the VG30DE from the 90's 300ZX. it's a much more modern engine and quite powerful in just stock form. Though an LS1, is certainly work thinking about.  both require mods to the body and aren't for the inexperienced.  I'd recommend you start with an L28ET which is next to drop-in ready.  A good search on all these swaps would be a great idea, just so you know what you're getting into.