HybridZ

Open Downpipe - can you live with it?

These are all great responses, thanks guys.

And I have no clue what's up with the ticket for the chrome tip o.O

I've never heard of anything like that out here, there's thousands of cars out here with all sorts of crap on them. I've seen a LOT worse than chrome tips that's for sure. Exhaust mods are legal basically as long as it passes smog and the decibel limit. '75 and back model year cars are exempt from smog and a lot of other stuff. They just need to pass decibel tests, but those aren't required for registration so it's only really if you get stopped by a cop and he tests it then.

"I am exempt from emissions in CA by a year or so"

You need to revisit our laws again. You are NOT exempt from emissions. You are exempt from TESTING. 

Draw attention of the CHP and they can pull you over (since 1954) for a roadside inspection.

If they don't like, or don't understand what they see...they can ticket you and require you to go do a SMOG test at a Referee.

If you fail for your year, you fail. If you fail gross polluter (most likely, since nobody is being tested, so the smog program takes the last set of data used for that year, and averages it will all the tests done narrowing the allowable range of emissions each year tighter and tighter and tighter --- "test result averaging", it's how you can have a car within factory specs pipe out as a gross polluter!)

The drawing attention thing is valid. CA also has defined exhaust noise limits (this is all in the CVC, for the reading, guys!) that specify how the test is accomplished and what the limits are.

The CVC, which covers exhausts, noise, and even the smog aspect of this discussion is freely available online. Start reading and become amazed at what is on the books and realize what The State can do to "your" car if you draw attention to it and get an angry gentleman with a working knowledge of the CVC standing by your door with his citation book.

Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor. 

I think I will eventually do this:

Stock exhaust manifold, aftermarket downpipe to eliminate the restriction from the stock one, then straight 3" manderal bent out to a free flow muffler. As entertaining as an open pipe can be I see how you guys are ssying it would wear after a while. Plus I'd hate to be the guy who wakes up the block when I start my car early in the morning. My friend's L28 240z has a 6-1 header straight out to a Magnaflow racing muffler. Probably the least amount of baffling ive ever seen, and some world class pipe work. I want something similar to that, but with that turbo spool thrown in to boot.