HybridZ

Open Downpipe - can you live with it?

So I'm eventually going to do a L28ET+5 speed swap in my 74 260z, so I've been doing research on the whole swap and what's involved. Now I know that the stock exhaust system for 280zx's and L28ETs are not exactly ideal for higher performance, namely the restrictive downpipe. What I'm wondering is if I were to do something like an open downpipe or straight pipe: just how loud is it? I've heard straight pipe setups that sounded like a burly V8 at idle but monstrous at WOT, I am 100% ok with that, I just would like to be able to hear myself think and not have to yell to talk to someone in the car. Is anyone here running an open exhaust of some point? I know turbos really cut down on exhaust volume but would it still be too loud realistically? 
And as far as the performance merit of an open setup it would be something I would like to take advantage of as my plans for this engine would be around 350hp. I need to do things like an R200+axles and the like before I put the engine in but I'm just trying to compile as much info as possible. Thanks

Well in my research I found that the stock cam can actually be good for up to almost 400hp so I'll probably keep that. The build would initially be mostly stock except like ECU, exhaust, maybe injection, and probably an intercooler. I'd be using it mostly stock for a while before the more serious build elements come into play like an upgraded turbo or bigger throttle body and stuff like that.

I've just heard some people say that open downpipes/exhaust are stupid loud and are totally impractical (even though they help performance quite a bit if done right) but every time I hear one it's actually not all that loud to me.

Edited by 9/73-E31-260z

It's loud. I'd say it's as loud as open pipes--just not quite as annoying. At idle it's bearable but anything else and it's loud. Still annoying at WOT. Plus you will have problems of fumes entering the cabin, it's still going to be loud enough to receive a citation, and emissions problems if that applies to you.

If you apply the Maximum Boost principles, then yes, a stock cam is fine.

There are plenty of things to do before you change the cam; and if you plan to run more than 10lbs of stock turbo boost you really need to think about engine management before cams/boost/turbo/etc.

In the state you live in, you will most likely run into a LOT of problems trying to drive with an open pipe. I'd venture a guess that you'd get a ticket within a month of driving an open pipe; out here in semi-rural Kentucky as long as you aren't bothering someone else they'll leave you alone.

Yeah I'll probably do Megasquirt or something when I am ready to put the engine in, and just enjoy it like 98% stock with maybe a little boost turn up, then do an intercooler, then go from there. 
I am exempt from emissions in CA by a year or so, and the weird thing is I never, ever see any cops around whenever I'm driving. It's just a thing. i dont drive like an idiot but with my luck it would be ridiculously easy to do some stupid crap all the time and never see a single cop. If I do see one I wouldn't say, gun it at WOT with an open downpipe. Is there any real difference between just a simple say 3'' straight pipe out the back or side eve as opposed to just an open downpipe? Both performance and sound, I assume the longer pipe would make it a bit quiter and maybe more hollow, but wouldn't change performance by much if at all. 

I ran an open downpipe before I got my exhaust finished.

I was using the MSA Downpipe, and It did get annoying after awhile, and got me a fix it ticket.

After that, I finished up my exhaust.

I researched for the best muffler that would give me that nice loud WOT sound, but low growl at idle to keep me in the clear.

I decided on a full 3" mandrel back with a Borla XR-1 at the end.

Just with a downpipe does sound pretty wicked at WOT though. I like that my car is quiet now.  I rode around with straight 3 inch all the way back all this past year and recently put my muffler back on. I won't be taking it back off. That drone at 65 was horrible. In addition these cars attract enough attention both good and bad so I feel better not adding to the bad attention I might possibly attract.

See if I can get a good deal on piping I'd like to do 3'' turbo back to basically the most minimal muffler I can find that can cut drone some but basically be unnoticeable at WOT. And my friend has XR-1s on his 74 F250 with headers and a 360 but my 260 is louder than it (although the prvious cut out the rear muffler so all it has is that little pre-muffler thing in the middle), the exhaust shop kinda did some weird stuff like putting the x-pipe way far back and crush bending the pipes 0.o

Which is what I ran for a few years and loved it, though it did drone at highway speeds.  It is loud inside the car but sounded great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMSIYn5hro

Your video is the reason I chose the XR-1 :P

It just makes the L28ET sound so  mean.

There is a slight drone, but It hasn't bothered me too much.

Why is the question either down pipe only, or 3'' all the way out back to a muffler.  There is all kinds of middle ground in between.  Keep the muffler but do side exit fore rear wheel is one example, this way you have the sound elimination, but don't have to add the weight (and bends) to carry it around the axles and out the rear.  I have seen guys run a turn down just in front of the rear suspension.  My car is currently on jack stands receiving 3" dp in SS carrying into the tunnel, then v band to 3" aluminum splitting into a y pipe and dual 2.5" exiting at about 45* in front of the rear wheel.  The incentive for this system came when my 2.5" dp to 3" all the way out back to a magnaflow straight through came in at something like 38lbs iirc, new system is less than ten :icon52:

Edited by roger280zx

I was actually thinking about something like that as well^

My friend's truck has the same kind of exits before the rear wheels. I just wasn't sure about if there was enough room out the sides of if that would cause any heat issues for the underside. My friend's truck is a heck of a lot higher than my 260 obviously so that's not an issue for him, and I haven't really seen many people running side exits on S30s if at all. I love side exits though, would the Y pipe effect the flow at all as opposed to just out the back? And what about the fumes issue?

I have ran a open 2.5'' dp for almost a year on my daily zx-t. And for some time it was fun but after a few months it becomes old and annoying. Take it from me run a 3'' all the way out the rear of the car with no muffler and its still loud as hell on boost but tolerable to drive daily. My car is pretty mild stock longblock 60mm throttle body, comp cam to4e 50 trim on 8 psi for now and megasquirt ms1 v3. I still return 24-26 mpg and runs 13.s on street tires at 102 mph. I will soon be going to a full 3'' for its long over due. A turbocharger in my county is a legal muffler lol I feel for you guys in cali with emission laws and crap no smog checks here THANKS Ernie fletcher. Bottom line is put the longest free flowing exhaust you can manage and still get the sound you want and can live with everyday. Best of luck!!!! 

Just a downpipe would become pretty annoying pretty fast, at least in my experience... 

I'm running a 2.5" exhaust from the turbo and back with only a muffler, isn't loud at all... Pretty sure I could remove the muffler without being to bothered about it, at least since this isn't my daily driver...

Ran a 3" downpipe on my internally stock 280ZXT.

At idle it sounded nice

At WOT it sounded nice

At higher RPM it sounded nice.

Revving it sounded nice.

At lower RPM and most cruising, it was annoying as hell and sounded like complete ass, like a shitty car without a muffler.  The drone and sometimes resonance during freeway driving was hellish over time.

I'd never choose to run a car like that again, it was more annoying than anything.

Edited by tyson