HybridZ

Advice on an Emotional Purhcase - Z related

JSM

I grew up with my dad owning a White 73 240z with a red interior.  I've owned a bunch of Z's here and there, but never a white/red combo.  In fact I don't recall seeing any for sale in FL.  My dad has recently passed away.

This was him and I and his Z back in 77.

22F11301-E829-4B6A-8019-CDC93D933D8F-328

Anyway, I've found a white / red combo recently.  Although it wasn't officially for sale he would take $3K and he is firm on that.  Rust isn't too bad it's been in storage for years. Neat thing he has documents back to new, though he is the second owner.

I've just never paid such a high amount for a non-running car, however, I've never found a white/red combo before.  Thoughts, keep searching?  I still search regularly all over FL and don't ever see white ones.  I'm not sure about prices elsewhere but they have gone up in FL.

Anyone have a white / red combo for sale?  Know of one for sale?

Could always find a Z with the red interior running and paint it white. If you do not want to do that, I would keep just looking and expand the area of search and hopefully something pops up on your radar. Good Luck with the Z hunt.

To me it comes down to the condition of that red interior. 

You can paint any Z white and put a red interior in any car, but the red stuff is hard to come by in good condition. If you're going to have to replace most/all of it anyway, it might be better to find a more solid starting point. If it's all there and all in good shape, then it could very well be worth your money and time to pick it up.

Like Plata said, projects like these are all about feeling good. If you think the car is a good one, then go for it! You've done enough buying and selling of s30s to know what's worth your time and what isn't ;)

To me it comes down to the condition of that red interior. 

You can paint any Z white and put a red interior in any car, but the red stuff is hard to come by in good condition. If you're going to have to replace most/all of it anyway, it might be better to find a more solid starting point. If it's all there and all in good shape, then it could very well be worth your money and time to pick it up.

Like Plata said, projects like these are all about feeling good. If you think the car is a good one, then go for it! You've done enough buying and selling of s30s to know what's worth your time and what isn't ;)

Couldn't agree more. I recently replaced most of my interior with good condition originals and it really adds up fast and a lot of parts are getting harder and harder to find. As far as red interior pieces go I hardly ever see them and I look at ebay on a daily basis. If the interior is in good shape I say jump on it. Even though it's not running it would probably be more emotionally rewarding to get it running again yourself.

Ugh!  I went and looked at it again today.  Interior is decent except seats which are shot and fading in the 1/4 window plastics.  I kept having this thought in my head with my Dad saying, "I wouldn't give more than $500 for that piece of crap!" 

He was cheap and the I'm not much better!  He always had the logic of offer cheap, if they don't take it another one will always come along.