HybridZ

Need help chosing stainless screen for radiator protector

RebekahsZ

I want to order a 24"X36" sheet of stainless wire screen from McMaster Car on-line, but I don't know how to interpret their screen mesh specifications.  Can somebody give me some good advice on a stainless mesh part number that would work well to stop those big hard-shell beetles that fly around under the lights at the drag strip from destroying my new aluminum radiator?  My plan is to get something with a pattern that favors the grill sections on high-end sports cars like the the grills on the Cadillac CTS-V.  I'll take it somewhere and have it welded to a frame then bolt it to the orginal radiator mounting bolts on the forward side of the radiator support of my 240z.  I'm imagining something like a 1/4 to 3/8" box weave.

Here is the McMaster-car link that shows a bunch of different options

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-mesh/=p61s1j

post-5903-0-98832900-1383013501_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-78504900-1383013519_thumb.jpg

CTS-V grill.bmp

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yeah, but I don't understand what the different numbers mean.  I like a big spoon and I'm not terribly self confident with machinist specs and materials.  Now, if I could walk down an aisle and chose from stock on-hand, this would be a no-brainer, but McMaster Carr just has a spec chart and a million different meshes, and the stainless mesh is more expensive than I imagined.  I'd like to avoid a bunch of returns.  I may have to find somebody who does a lot of street rod/custom stuff to help me with the order....

I will try to add a link to the McMaster Carr page to try to help someone help me.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Here's what I'd do.

Match what Pegasus offers, https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=SCREEN.

Things to keep in mind, finer holes won't allow as much cooling.  It's a good idea to not have a flat screen but one that is shaped so you have less chance of blockage.  It's usually easier to use stainless safety wire to connect the mesh to the frame than welding.  

Not sure that really answers the question but may help make a selection.  

best,

Cary

I think I'm going to stop by the Cadillac dealer and do a pencil/paper tracing of the caddy grill. Then I will try to do a drawing using the Pegasus specs as a reference. Then I will go back to the McMaster site and try to decider their specs from the knowledge that I've gained. Will also stop by a heating and ventilation store I've found and see what they have. Trying to chose a product from these little swatches that they put in catalogs is like trying to pick a color from a 1" paint chip. Getting closer.

If you choose the number of openings per inch on McMaster, the selections have the wire thickness.  Since Pegasus gives that info, it's relatively easy to find the one that correlates; it even tells you the percent of open area.  The real question is how closely do you want it to match what the CTS-V has.  

*edit*

because I am bored.  

I took a very close look at the Cadillac grill and using some high tech software (ms paint) I determined that it is 3x3, crimped wire.  Wire thickness is hard to tell from pictures online though.  My best guess is .08".

Edited by Namor

skip Mcmaster. Their prices are way too high.

find a metal supermarket near you. They carry or can get stainless expanded metal or perforated sheets at a lot less than you'd get from Mcmaster and you'd save on shipping too.

Keith, this summer I went to my local McMaster, about a 45 minute drive, to get some wire cloth samples (12"X12"). Like you, I couldn't interpret what all the mesh sizes, wire diameters, etc., would look like.

I was trying to come up with a nice Cadillac looking stainless to form a grille for my '73. Turns out, their #85385T16, Stainless, 2X2 mesh, .105 wire dia., 62% open, looks great, very Cadillac-ish but mega expensive and surprisingly heavy. (There's a heavier .12 gauge one too, which would look even better.) My buddy and I were amazed with how heavy the 1 foot sample was. Colin Chapman would totally disapprove.

So, I'm still undecided, and unknowing about the grille material. I'm blocking off part of my grille and the Caddy looking cloth is only 62% open, and I don't know if that's allowing enough air through.

If I were doing battle with the beatles I'd probably use McMasters #9227T402, (See pic), aluminum, 2X2 mesh, .063 wire dia. and 76% open. This stuff is crimped and not smooth and pretty like the Stainless, but it's adding lightness. Yeah, a determined beatle could maybe make it through occasionally, depending on how fat these guys are.

I'm going to use this aluminum cloth to back up some holes I'm cutting into my hood. It would be too lightweight though to use as a grille, and they don't offer a heavier gauge.

Steve

P1020276_zps3b7b7ec3.jpg

I love this forum and I appreciate all the help from everybody.  I agree: most of the time Mcmaster Carr is cheap, but I was surprised at the prices for this stuff.  Stainless IS heavy.  Zzeal: do you think that aluminum mesh that you recommended would stop a medium sized rock?  In my area, drag strip nights more resemble a Mad Max movie that anything I've seen on Pinks or Pass Time.  While I commented on the damage done by a beetle, I'm really more concerned about catching a rock.  I don't expect to be able to protect against a beer bottle, driveshaft or 'coon or a large dog (known to walk across the strip), I would like to be able to stop a 2" rock.

I love this forum and I appreciate all the help from everybody.  I agree: most of the time Mcmaster Carr is cheap, but I was surprised at the prices for this stuff.  Stainless IS heavy.  Zzeal: do you think that aluminum mesh that you recommended would stop a medium sized rock?  In my area, drag strip nights more resemble a Mad Max movie that anything I've seen on Pinks or Pass Time.  While I commented on the damage done by a beetle, I'm really more concerned about catching a rock.  I don't expect to be able to protect against a beer bottle, driveshaft or 'coon or a large dog (known to walk across the strip), I would like to be able to stop a 2" rock.

Your local track has rocks on the strip?!

Rocks eh, so you're talking about general road debris that invariably finds the front of your car?... or do the locals throw rocks at you in your 'furrin car after you've beaten their drag strip favorite?

I'm inclined to ship you the aluminum sample and let you make the call. I think it would depend on how securely you mounted it, how far away from the rad, and you know fabbing aluminum is a whole different, ornery, animal.

Consider a stainless 2 X 2 mesh in a wimpy, un-caddy looking lighter gauge wire. They've got .08, .063 (same as the aluminum in the pic), and .047. But you won't see it without raising the hood, eh? It's a compromise but it'll stop those pesky rocks.

Steve

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. Don't worry about sending me the sample. Ive got more work to do on my end-you've given me plenty to think about. And yes, we even have deer on the track at times, tree limbs and screw drivers. And a garbage dump at the far end, so you want good brakes too. It's amazing how all those empty beer cans can stay in the back of your truck flying down the highway, then fly out the tailgate when you floor it from a dead stop. My radiator is on borrowed time.

Edited by RebekahsZ